xiv, travelling the scorch

Darkness

Darkness. The midnight sky provided little comfort for the wandering girl. Melanie's feet dragged across the sand as she kept her distance from the burning building. No doubt Janson was patrolling it like a hawk, searching for his needles in the blazing haystack. Her instincts told the girl to continue rounding the building, keeping herself away from the line of sight while also staying close enough to spot any of her friends. Despair weighed heavily on the girl as her hope dwindled like a flickering candle.

She trudged and trudged for hours. It could've been three minutes or three days, the exact time unknown amongst the thousands grains of sand. Melanie, letting her feet guide her forward, wondered if her friends had fallen into the clutches of wicked once more? Did Thomas escape? What about Luna? Would she be alone forever?

It was almost as if her prayers were answered. The girl travelled through the debris, wading her way through old concrete slabs and cement structures. Her distracted mind froze at the sound of her name being called out into the chilly night. It could've been a mirage, a figure of her imagination to toy with her emotions, a sound mistaken for the wind. However, the second time her name echoed out only proved the girl wasn't hearing things. Her eyes scanned the sandy abyss, widening at the sight of two tall figures on one of the pieces of concrete. Her body broke out into a sprint, her feet moving fast. The girl was afraid they'd disappear, leaving her alone with her thoughts and fears.

"Newt! Minho! Guys!", her hoarse voice croaked, her body moving closer and closer to the pair, who quickly turned towards her approaching body. Melanie smiled, making her way to the structure, the boys' faces coming into view. She could see relief cross their expressions, both of them crouching down to swiftly pull her up. Minho harshly patted her back, while Newt smiled. Melanie noticed it didn't quite touch his eyes.

"Hey, You're alive!", Minho remarked, knocking her shoulder before stepping to the end of the concrete. The girl rolled her eyes, softly smiling at Newt before letting her hands drop to her knees. She attempted to catch her breath, all the adrenaline wearing off as quickly as it had flooded her veins. Melanie, who could run in the maze for hours upon hours, was now struggling to catch her breath after a short dash. It seemed odd but she just brushed it off, blaming her exhaustion.

Melanie followed Minho and Newt to where the rest were situated, the boy looking at each other and then the girl as they walked. After a comment from Melanie, Minho decided to speak, much to Newt's dismay.

"We can't find Thomas."

Her footsteps halted, confusion painting her features. An unfamiliar, gut-wrenching ache radiated through her heart. Swallowing harshly to try and lessen it, Melanie turned to look to the boys. She simply nodded, her hands stuffing themselves into their pockets before her feet carried her through the sand.

Conversation ceased after that. Mainly because Melanie couldn't unravel the piercing knot in her throat to question why Thomas wasn't here. And why she felt like she was dying because he wasn't?