vi, escape at night

A sense of déjà vu washed over Daniel like the calming waves he dreamt about for as long as he could remember

A sense of déjà vu washed over Daniel like the calming waves he dreamt about for as long as he could remember. It was always the same dream, a comforting sense of normality that he had while in the glade. Him, with his feet in the sand, watching the water lap and ripple, while light rain peppered his skin. It was beautiful, a sort of breathtaking beauty that the teenager hadn't told anyone about it after all these years. It was his thing, not to be shared.

Thomas stood inside the door, pointing his nearly empty gun at Janson. The boy's hands trembled; with anticipation or fear, Daniel wasn't sure. But Thomas' eyes emanated nothing but pure hatred towards the older man, memories of what he did looping around his mind. Flashbacks of Thomas running into the maze resided in Daniel's mind, similar to the event happening at that moment.

Thomas' finger slipped over the trigger, squeezing tightly. Blue sparks shot forward, hitting the guard's metal shield. He went to pull it again, but the gun's chamber clicked, signalling he was out of bullets. He drew the weapon back, chucking it at Janson and the guards. Breaking out into a sprint, Thomas got closer and closer to the electronic door.

It was closing; no matter what that door was going to shut. Daniel felt useless, watching with the others as Thomas raced against time. The shouts from Janson fell on the boy's ears fruitlessly. Thomas pumped his arms, sliding through the small opening at the last moment. Melanie could feel her chest sigh in relief.

Taking initiative. Aris smashed the keypad, deserting Ratman and his little band of soldiers on the other side. Teresa, confused on ehat wS going on, repeatedly asked what was happening. The group ignored her, unsure themselves on what exactly was happening.

Thomas flipped Janson off. Daniel shook his head at the boy's cheeky nature. He spotted his own sister suppressing a smirk. Melanie was annoyed at the boy she felt a deeper connection with, she couldn't put into words why she felt so frustrated but she was. As a team, the teenagers ran away from the door, hoping to make it out of the compound.

Eventually, after countless twists and turns,  the band of teenagers reached the same door they had entered a few short days prior. Daniel was surprised at how fast time went inside the tiled walls; it was like the compound ran on its own time, not caring about the rest of the world.

The door open with the help of a lever. It revealed a sandy, dark wasteland. Wind swept sand up in tubes or funnels, disrupting the view of anyone attempting to wade through. No one could see a metre ahead of them, their feet halting to an apprehensive stop.

They considered finding another way out, tired bodies aching at the sight of the soft sand. But, their desperation won over. They were desperate for escape; for answers; for someone who doesn't want to kill them every five seconds. Melanie just wished to stop running, stop fighting— just to stop.

With the sight of running back appearing dire, the group begrudgingly began to sprint forward. The wind drove sand at their ankles, dust getting into their eyes as they powered on. At one point, Daniel couldn't tell if they were even running forward; however the boy didn't ask if they were, knowing he wouldn't get an honest answer.