Chapter 10

The next four days they spent planning their attack. Victor got the blueprints for the firm's office building and he and Elaina spent hours poring over them in detail, memorizing all the routes. They came up with their entrance and exit routes, as well as several backup plans which Victor and Elaina committed to memory until they could both recite them backwards and forwards.

Each day, at different times, Victor and Elaina went to a local gun store that had an indoor range. The owner, a close friend of Victor's, allowed them to practice on the range, even giving Elaina some pointers on her shooting, which improved daily. Victor took great pride in her accuracy as the week progressed.

"You'll definitely be able to make a kill shot," he told her quietly on Thursday. "At least, an incapacitating shot, which can be just as good."

Elaina made a face. "The only problem will be when I ask them to stand still so I can blow a hole through them."

Victor laughed, the sound unexpected in the relative quiet of the range. They were the only two there, the owner had made sure of that. "Then let's practice moving shots."

They then spent another hour shooting at the targets from various positions, crouching, lying down, standing, one handed, as well as moving across the range, until Elaina felt very comfortable firing from multiple stances.

"You're getting really good," Victor enthused as they left the range, Elaina's dark ponytail blowing in the wintry wind. She pulled her hood over her head, hands shoved into her pockets, her gun tucked into one of her pockets, an extra clip in the other. "I think you're a natural at this, Elaina."

She laughed. "Okay, stop flattering me, Victor. I'm decent, but I'm no Annie Oakley."

As they slid into the car, Victor started the engine and glanced over at her. "You know what, I'm in the mood for some pizza tonight. How about you?"

"You kidding?" Elaina demanded. "Of course! I love pizza."

"I think you'd have to be crazy not to like pizza," Victor commented, pulling out into traffic. "Especially New York pizza."

"The best in the world," Elaina sighed.

She could smell it as soon as they stepped into the pizzeria, the delicious smell of melted cheese and crust. She had called in their order on the drive over, so after Victor gave the waiter their name, the two of them going under the assumed name "Anderson" to avoid detection, he and Elaina took a seat in a nearby booth to wait, gazing around at their surroundings, watching the other customers.

"I love pizzerias," Elaina sighed in contentment.

"What exactly about them do you love?" Victor asked, reaching out to take her hand over the table. Whenever they had to be in public, they always played like they were husband and wife, Elaina just praying she didn't run into anybody she knew who would question the charade. It had been awkward at first, but Victor never teased her about it once they returned to the apartment, so Elaina had grown used to the role.

"Everything," Elaina answered, smiling at him. "The smell, the décor, the line of people waiting for their fresh, hot pizza...it reminds me of getting pizza with my dad when I was a kid. There's always so much nostalgia in a piece of pizza, at least for me."

"Hmm," Victor said. "For me, a piece of pizza always just had a lot of cheese."

Elaina laughed and he laughed with her. It was so easy, this back and forth, that it felt like they had been at it for years, not merely days. As she quieted, she looked into his eyes and Victor returned her gaze silently, a slight smile gently playing about his lips.