Chapter 2

Fa la la la la, la la la la.

Elaina bobbed her head absently to the music as she prepared for her meeting with Tony. The music was playing softly in the office, despite their usual inclination to have silence. With the Secret Santa drawing and the setting of a date for the office Christmas party, Victor must have decided to put some Christmas music on.

The current song ended and another one started, beginning with the soft jingle of bells. Elaina straightened in her chair, thinking of Victor's name on that slip of paper as she relaxed to what sounded like a classic Christmas song.

I have to buy a gift for Victor Andrisano.

Victor Andrisano, the owner and the hottest guy here.

The lyrics of the song began after the guitar kicked in, alerting Elaina that this wasn't a normal Christmas song. "These are your good years. Don't take my advice; you never wanted the nice boys, anyway."

Elaina stood up, heading for the conference room to meet Tony, who was already there. He was leaning against the door, grinning and looking generally pleased with himself. Unlike his brother Victor, Tony really liked the band known as Fall Out Boy, whose idea of a Christmas song was to tell their ex or whoever they were singing about to stay far away from them on Christmas Day, that they didn't want to see them.

It was, in truth, the opposite of Mariah Carey's "All I Want For Christmas Is You."

Elaina liked Elvis Presley's idea of a Christmas song much better than this. Fall Out Boy's was just disturbing.

Tony caught her eye and his grin lessened, although there was still a twinkle in his eye. Elaina shot him a brief glare before composing herself and stepping into the conference room, Tony following her and shutting the door. She had a feeling he was the one who had requested this song be played.

Really? This is just creepy Christmas music. Why can't we listen to the classics?

"So I take it you don't like Fall Out Boy?"

Tony's voice interrupted her thoughts as she took her seat and Elaina glanced up to see him looking down at her, hands in his pockets, as Fall Out Boy launched into their chorus. "No," she said. "I just don't think a song named "Yule Shoot Your Eye Out" qualifies as Christmas music."

Tony frowned as he pulled a seat out and sat down, folding his hands on the table. "Does Die Hard qualify as a Christmas movie?"

Furrowing her brow, Elaina frowned. "What?"

"It's a simple question," Tony said. "Is Die Hard a Christmas movie? It's quite the raging debate in some circles. Have you seen it?"

"Yes, I have," Elaina said, feeling like Tony was backing her into a corner. "It's a good movie."

"Then what is it?" Tony asked, a slight smirk playing about his lips. "Christmas movie? Or not?"

Elaina straightened. "I, for one, have always considered Die Hard a Christmas movie. That, however, does not admit entrance of Fall Out Boy's so-called 'Christmas' song into the holiday soundtrack."

"It is a Christmas song," Tony asserted. "Just because it's not full of good cheer doesn't mean it doesn't count. We all have people we don't want to see for Christmas." His voice grew thoughtful, a note of bitterness in his tone. Then he glanced at her, eyes sharp. "Let's get to work, shall we?"

Elaina spent the next hour talking to Tony about the end of year report for Andrisano Construction. They went over the past year and talked about the coming one before the meeting concluded, Elaina preparing to leave as Tony just sat there, watching her for a moment in silence.

"You know, you've handled Andrisano Construction as a client for several years now," Tony said. "I think I owe you a dinner."

Elaina's eyes widened. "What?"

"I owe you dinner," Tony repeated.

"Tony, you know this is my job," Elaina informed him. "Your brother pays me to do this."

"I know," Tony said. "But still, I want to take you to dinner, to thank you for all the dedicated work you've done for us. Consider it a business dinner."

Elaina tilted her head, considering. Tony Andrisano was asking her to dinner? Just for doing Andrisano Construction's taxes? Was he just not saying the real reason for the dinner, or was that it?

"You can't say no," Tony added.

"All right, all right," Elaina said, giving him a smile. Tony smiled back, but there was still something odd lurking in his eyes, some sort of tension.

"Seven o'clock at Romano's?" Tony suggested, standing. "Do you like Italian?"

Elaina lifted an eyebrow at him. "Yes, I like Italian. It's in my blood."

"Mine, too," Tony said. "I'll see you there?"

"See you then," Elaina echoed, walking out of the conference room with Tony closing the door behind her. "Bye, Tony."

Heading back to her cubicle as more normal Christmas music filtered over the speakers, Elaina's attention drifted back to Victor. She now needed to go buy a Christmas present for him for the party, a week from today. But what?

She didn't know Victor that well; she didn't know his interests or hobbies. But she did not feel like giving him a mundane, run-of-the-mill present like those given at most office Christmas parties when a Secret Santa drawing was involved. No, Elaina wanted to get something good, something Victor would appreciate and like.

But it's a tad hard to find a gift for someone you don't know that well.

Elaina sighed and pushed the idea out of her head. She'd think of something. Tomorrow when she saw Victor over at the coffee stand, she'd strike up a conversation with him and figure out what to get him.

It can be a gift card, even.

Tony's words came back into her head and Elaina frowned. What kind of Secret Santa encourages you to take people out to dinner instead of buying a cheap gift? That's more expensive, isn't it?

Then she heard Michael's voice, asking for information concerning another client, and Elaina snapped back into work mode.

****

It was dark when Elaina left her desk. "Night," Victor called to her, looking slightly worried as he stood in the office door, arms crossed. He did that every so often, watching everyone leave, but his eyes had that worried look that always ended with him taking a couple days off to do who-knows-what.

"Goodnight, Mr. Andrisano," Elaina said, giving him a smile as she headed toward the elevator. "See you tomorrow."

Victor attempted a confident smile but it only looked worried, like most of Tony's expressions throughout the day.

Elaina palmed the down button on the panel and waited as the elevator doors opened. She stepped inside, Michael stepping in behind her, hitting the garage key. Like Victor, he looked worried, tense, and kept his hand in his suit jacket.

"Is everything all right?" Elaina asked, and Michael just nodded briefly.

The elevator doors opened on the parking garage level and Elaina stepped out, glancing around for where she parked her car. She spotted her old black BMW down one of the rows, fifth in.

She was just stepping away from the elevator when the gunshot rang out.