Creepy Andrew Larsen

"My mother's requesting your presence at the annual Kinsley-Ehlert summer pool party," I said to John over the phone that morning. "It's where the Who's Who of Ithaca come to schmooze and brag."

"Sounds fun," John said enthusiastically.

"Trust me, it's not. Anyway, it's this afternoon if you can make it." I capped the bottle of Make Me Blush nail polish and blew gently on my fingertips.

"I'll be there."

"You don't have to come," I said. "I mean, I don't want you to feel obligated just because we're dating."

"So, it's official?"

"You bought me chili and cornbread. In my book, that makes it official. But seriously, I know it's last minute, so if you've got other plans . . ." I left the sentence hanging, giving him an easy out if he wanted to take it.

"As your official boyfriend, I am absolutely obligated," John said. "What about Zach, though? Won't he be there?"

"He and his family conveniently have other plans. One more thing," I said before ending the call. "My mom insists that you bring Ian."

"Then I suppose I should speak to him about minding his manners," he commented, sounding a little less enthusiastic now.

"Ian is a big boy, John. I'm sure he'll be fine."

"One can hope."

No sooner had we hung up with each other when Olivia Facetimed. "I heard from Sarah Redbird, who heard from Allie Bishop, that class schedules are being posted online Monday morning," she said, as soon as I connected.

"Finally," I said. "I'm dying to see if I got that illustration and design class I wanted. I have a full schedule this year so my mom had to sign some special waiver that said they would assume full responsibility if my brain exploded from course overload."

"How many AP classes are you taking this semester?"

"Three. Why?"

Olivia snorted. "You are a hopeless overachiever. This is senior year, Blake! It's our year to sit back and coast to graduation."

I laughed. "As if my parents would allow that. How many AP classes are you taking?"

"Only two."

"Slacker."

"You know it. Will John be at the party?"

"Yes, and he's bringing Ian."

"Ooh la la," Olivia sing-songed. "I can't wait to meet our resident vampire."

"Don't you dare bring that up," I warned her. "If you embarrass me, I'll—"

"You'll what, suck my blood?" she said in her best impersonation of Dracula.

"I'm hanging up now."

"No, no!" she said in a rush, laughing. "I'm sorry! I really did have a reason for Facetiming. What are you wearing?"

I held out the phone and angled it down, completing a full sweep of my body. "I was doing yoga."

"I meant what are wearing to the party?"

I raised the phone to my face. "It's a pool party, Libby."

She ignored my sarcasm. "The reason I'm asking is that I have to know if there will be any cute, unattached guys there. Can I get away with a boring one-piece, or should I break out the sexy bikini?"

"What about Gabe?" I asked, my interest piqued. "Did you finally come to your senses and break up with him?"

"Let's just say I'm keeping my options open. I've had my eye on this guy at the coffee shop for the past few weeks."