XV

I walked through the school parking lot Monday morning feeling the opposite of how I felt in this same place only 3 days ago. While Friday night had been awful, Saturday night being spent laughing and drinking Pinot with Rosie had re-fuelled my ability to put a smile on my face.

Talking with Rosie on Saturday night had set my mind at ease over what was happening between us. I had to put it down to not having a whole bunch of girl-friend's back in San Francisco. All these butterflies in my stomach when she would smile, my accelerated heat beat when she briefly brushed against me, obviously by accident. All of those things have to be from nerves. Nerves and loneliness.

Anxiety mixed with homesickness for San Francisco aside, I knew this week would be better. I had not spoken to Rosie since I, mid-glass, had received a text message from my mother saying her and my father were 5 minutes from the house. The rush to hide the half-empty bottle and get Rosie out the back door had put us into a fit of laughter as I all but pushed her out the back door.

On my first step through the main wooden doors, I was met with an onslaught of black and yellow. It was as if a bumblebee had thrown up on the corridors and painted them with the school sports colours. I shelved that question for the moment and re-adjusted my grip on the mocha-latte in my hand. There was one person I was looking for.

I reached the first-floor locker area, and spotted Liv emptying the contents of her handbag into her locker. From the distance I was at I could already see the multiple sets of highlighters and fluorescent post-it notes.

I walked up to an oblivious Liv, who only noticed I had arrived due to the whiff of the coffee in my hand. Her dark brown eyes spotted the cup first, before meeting mine. I could visibly see the light dim and I felt the anchor in my stomach drop. I had to make this right.

"I am so sorry for what I said to you on Friday," I started. I had regretted it the second I spoke, and the anger was not directed at her in the slightest. After relaying this to Liv, I saw the resolve on her face, and know that while it would not be forgotten, my out-burst was forgiven.

"Here," I handed her the mocha-latte and watched a smile appear.

"You really didn't have too-" she started while brining a second hand around the cup.

"I wanted to," I smile at her. After taking a sip, flashing me a smile, Liv turned back to her locker and pulled out a notepad. With one hand navigating, she fished out a couple loose pages and handed them to me. It was the notes from the class I had missed on Friday.

"You've only been here a week, and you must be home-sick as Hell. I'll stop with the questions about San Francisco." With that we hugged at the sound of the warning bell. Liv closed her locker, linked my arm, and we made our way to home room.

The class was almost full when we arrived. Rosie and Natalie were in deep conversation when Liv and I sat down.

"-I just don't think we should change it yet," Natalie rushed out, obviously hoping Liv and I would not pick up on the tail of the conversation. Liv did not seem to hear, but I glanced over at Rosie's side profile as I sat down.

"We'll see how Friday goes," she settled, pushing her hair over her shoulder and turning in her chair to look at me. "Hey," she grinned at me.

"Hey yourself," I found myself grinning back, the sound of Natalie scoffing in the background was almost music to my ears. Rosie turned back to face Mr James, who had recovered from his stomach flu/syphilis impediment. After running through the majority of the announcements, the final one was that of a football game this Friday night.

There was a collection of supportive yells from the football players in the back, which caused a slight series of chatter before Mr James insisted on quiet. After finalising the attendance with a few late arrivals, the formality of the class was over.