Chapter 11 (Nightpaw)

Nightpaw padded into camp just as Spiderstar leapt onto the Highledge and let out a yowl to commence a Clan meeting. "Let all cats old enough to catch their own prey gather beneath the Highledge for a Clan meeting!" Warriors, apprentices, and elders padded out of their dens or rose from their spots in the clearing to gather. Nightpaw saw Sagepaw sit down beside the other apprentices and she bounded over to join him.

"Cats of ThunderClan! We have scented WindClan again across the border. I will be increases patrols along the WindClan border and apprentices must be frequently battle trained. If WindClan is to ignore our warnings and threats then we shall issue an attack against them," Spiderstar meowed.

"Will you mention it at the next Gathering?" Leopardtail spoke up.

"I will not directly say that they are stealing from us but I will hint at it," the ThunderClan leader explained. Murmurs spread among the cats about their leader's plans. "I have also decided on who will be going to the Gathering," he continued. "Smallfoot, Maplefrost, Runningpaw, Tanglebush, Swallowfern, Sweetscent, Sagepaw, Nightpaw, and Timberpaw will attend the Gathering tomorrow night."

Nightpaw's paws tingled with excitement, this would be her first Gathering! But she was also curious, her and her siblings barely experienced any training, why would they be going to the Gathering?

"We need to show that ThunderClan is strong, that we have new warriors on the way at that our Clan is thriving! We must not look weak in front of the other Clans, especially WindClan! I have chosen this amount of cats to stay back to guard camp in case WindClan were to attack. Leaf-fall is closing in soon, we must show that we are indeed ready for the harsh times soon to come. That is what we are, ThunderClan will not be weakened by the cold!" Spiderstar's words made the ThunderClan cats yowl with excitement and determination. Nightpaw admired her father, he was so good at giving hope and inspirational words to the Clan."Clan dismissed!" Spiderstar yowled. He leapt down from the Highledge and motioned for Blacknose to follow him into his den.

"We're going to the Gathering!" Nightpaw purred. She couldn't contain her excitement as she bounced around like a kit.

"Tch, what a mouse-brained kit," a grumbled voice sounded behind them. Nightpaw whipped around to see Raggedkit padding up to them with a bored expression.

"Well if you were an apprentice you'd be excited too," Sagepaw pointed out.

"Huh! I wouldn't be caught dead prancing around like a newborn kit!" the brown tabby sneered.

Sagepaw opened his jaws to shoot something back but Nightpaw silenced him with a flick of her black tail over his mouth, "There's no need to fight about it."

"And Spiderstar is only taking you three to showoff that ThunderClan has new apprentices, not because of your skill or anything!" Raggedkit spat. Nightpaw flexed her claws in the cool earth, her old denmate was really ruffling her fur now.

"Raggedkit!" Timberpaw stepped in between the two apprentices and the kit. "Dappledear must be worried about you, you shouldn't be out this late," he meowed. Nightpaw's whiskers twitched gratefully at her brother.

"Yeah, I guess we best be off in our own dens now too, yeah?" Nightpaw meowed, turning to Sagepaw. Sagepaw nodded and he started off towards the apprentice den. Nightpaw gave Timberpaw an affectionate lick to his ear before following her other brother to the apprentices' den.

"Congratulations on being able to go to the Gathering," Goldenpaw meowed as they padded in.

"Thanks," Nightpaw nodded to the golden she-cat. She settled herself in her moss nest beside Sagepaw and closed her eyes. Slowly she drifted off to sleep.