Chapter 13 (Nightpaw)

The sky had grown darker as dusk began to fall upon the forest. A cold wind ruffled Nightpaw's fur as she padded out from the elders' den. She had been given the task to replace the moss in the dens with the help of her brother Sagepaw throughout the rest of the day.

She caught sight of Spiderstar bound onto the highest rock of the Highledge. His black fur was groomed and slick with shine. "Those of which I've chosen to attend the Gathering come beneath the Highledge!" he yowled.

Sagepaw padded up beside her and nudged her gently with his shoulder. "Come on! I don't want to be left behind!" Sagepaw's whiskers twitched with excitement. Nightpaw nodded and the two siblings joined the assembly of cats.

Once every cat that Spiderstar had called yesterday had gathered the ThunderClan leader leapt down from his position on the Highledge and motioned with the flick of his tail for his warriors to follow. Nightpaw's heart raced as the group of cats bounded out of camp and into the frosty undergrowth. Sagepaw and Nightpaw had caught up Timberpaw who running alongside Sweetscent.

"Hey, Timberpaw!" Sagepaw panted as he ran. Timberpaw's ear twitched toward him, acknowledging he had heard his brother.

They raced through the bracken, Nightpaw's legs began to scream from the effort as they neared the WindClan border.

"Stay close to the lake! We don't want any accusations from WindClan!" Spiderstar yowled back at the ThunderClan cats. Nightpaw veered to the right with the rest of the Clan and stayed alongside the starlit lake. Her paws pounded against the sodden moorland edge and the wind whistled in her ears. She could see the shape of the island growing larger as she neared and her heart raced faster with excitement.

Suddenly, the scent of WindClan grew stronger as they neared the island. Nightpaw glanced over her shoulder to see a group of lithe WindClan cats bounded gracefully across the moor. She could feel the prickle of hatred from the ThunderClan cats as they began to notice WindClan's presence.

The ThunderClan cats kept moving along the edge of the lake, ignoring the burning eyes of the WindClan warriors. Finally, the cats reached the island. Nightpaw peered over Timberpaw's shoulder to try and get a view on how the cats were crossing. A mossy tree was connecting from the shore to the edge of the island.

"It's your turn," Swallowfern murmured into her ear. Nightpaw took a wary step onto the log. Her claws unsheathed as she gripped the sides of its slippery surface.

"Be careful!" Nightpaw heard Sagepaw hiss as she padded along the log. Once close enough to the edge she gave a large leap and landed on the island.

"No need to show off!" Runningpaw mewed from in front of her.

Nightpaw turned back to look at her siblings. Timberpaw was crossing the fallen tree with eyes as round as the moon and slow steps. He made it across the bridge and he let out a sigh of relief. Sagepaw trotted more carelessly across. Nightpaw gasped as he brother's paws slipped along the surface and he scrambled on the wood. Swallowfern gripped Sagepaw's scruff in his teeth and lifted him back onto the log bridge.

"Be careful!" the warrior snapped impatiently. Sagepaw ducked his head in shame as he shuffled along the log to the island.

"Thank StarClan your okay!" Nightpaw mewed as she brushed noses with her brother. Sagepaw nodded, he tried straightening but his legs were still shaky from the scare.

"Lets explore!" Timberpaw mewed.

"What if we get lost?" Sagepaw fretted.

"Don't worry, it's not that big of an island," Nightpaw reassured, but Sagepaw didn't look too convinced.