Chapter Two

*Edited*

Some time later, Grace and Simon walked around the park arms linked and the conversation engaging.

However, as they walked Simon noticed something much to his disliking. It was the fact that it seemed every man either pointed Grace out or stared potently as they walked by causing some women to smack their husbands on the arm or the less confident give her looks of disgust and disapproval, in the way women could be cruel. 

At first Simon thought it was because she was linking arms with him while she already had a ring in her finger or maybe some of the men were remembering the ordeal from the past year involving Grace, but he soon realized that it was not only the latter but Grace was wearing quite a provocative gown. 

While it was already shorter then most and showed off quite a bit of her legs it also pushed her breasts as far they could go seeming on the edge of popping out of place completely to match her equally sinched waist that hardly gave her any room to breathe. 

The whole concept of the gown made Simon want to take of his jacket and cover her before hurriedly ushering her away from the eyes of onlookers. 

Grace could sense his tense state and brought them towards a large oak tree to sit. 

They sat in silence as they once did as children. Until Simon broke it, 

"You know I didn't want to comment Grace but what on earth are you wearing?"

Grace clenched her jaw even though she knew the comment from him was coming, and forced a smile passed her lips, cheeks flushed red,  "It's his latest attempt at showing me off. I don't believe it's working well, this dress is ghastly." 

Suddenly Simon's demeanor changed from once feeling uncomfortable he now felt a feeling sorrow for Grace. She had been forced to be with Elliot and hardly showed any sign of her discomfort with him although many things lay below the surface that Grace only confided in a few people.

"Well it could be worse" Simon tried to lighten the convorsation. 

Grace cocked an eyebrow looking at his terrible attempt to make the situation better, 

"How?" She asked and he chuckled,

"He could have you wearing nothing at all," After realizing what he had just said Simon bit his tongue and Grace sighed leaning against the tree. She didn't blame him, he had always been awkward, anxious in situations where nothing could be helped. 

"Sorry," he apologized which was a rare  occurrence, "Too soon?"

Grace shrugged, "Please as if I'll ever outlive it. On my tombstone Lady Whistledown's section on me will be engraved. I wouldn't be surprised if Elliot reads it at our wedding."

"It was nearly a year ago, I'm sure it hasn't crossed people minds in ages"

"I doubt that, because no matter how long it's been it doesn't stop the glares of disgust and the tightening of men's pants at the mention now does it? I will always be that girl up there." 

Simon looked over at her seeming to lose contact with the world around her for a moment her eyes distant but mind blazing with thoughts as she fiddled with the hem of the dress. Silence once again engulfed them. Biting at every word each person thought to say but never came. 

"Where is the old count anyway?" Simon finally said and Grace jokingly knocked into his side,"He's not that old." 

Simon wrinkled his nose a bit. It was true Elliot was not much older than the two of them but he liked to poke fun. 

"Fine then where is the young count?" He asked emphasizing the word 'young' and she laughed,

"Scotland, he shall be back by the Eve after next"

"Ah freedom comes so fleetingly doesn't it?" He smiled and Grace sighed, 

"Not really he insists I have one of his advisors accompany me everywhere I go alone and with a man other than him of course."

Simon clenched a hand to his heart, "Am I not a man then?"

"No" Grace replied looking at him with sparkling blue eyes, "You are my family, my brother. And god knows how many times I had to convince him you are the last person I shall bed. Besides, I caught his advisor staring at my breast in the carriage and threatend to tell Elliot if he didn't let me go today, unaccompanied" 

She stood up from the tree smoothing down her skirt and offers a hand to help him up which of course he diligently refused, "Is that so?" Simon asked. 

"Yes, indeed it is. Now if you don't mind we have a ball to get ready for." She smiled, and if they  were still fourteen SImon would have been shocked those words ever left her lips. 

Simon offers his arm once again which Grace took and they began to walk back, "Ah the ball I hoped you had forgotten." He said. 

"As if I could you know the lady would have my head if I let you miss it." Grace reminded. 

Simon licked his lips looking downwards kicking a pebble with his shoe, "And will you be wearing one of the counts beautifully made dresses?"

"Of course! Only the most sophisticated for his beautiful Countess"