Chapter Four

*Edited*

Lady Danbury and Grace sat by the window enjoying their morning tea. Danbury read the newest gossip sheet from Lady Whistledown before letting out a sigh and passing it to the nearby servant.

"You'd think they would be bored of Simon by now." And Grace laughed her comment, "As if whoever this Lady Whistledown is would give up the opportunity to relight the new duke."

Danbury gave her a wary glance taking a sip of her tea, "You know it might not pain you as much if you just read it."

Grace licked her lips setting her cup on the silver platter, "Out of sight, out of mind."

"How gracious of you." Danbury joked and Grace gave a mock bow.

"The opera is tonight isn't it?" She asked and Danbury nodded, "Yes, will you be joining me?"
Grace smiled and placed a kiss on her cheek before beginning to leave the room, "Of course."

----
Anthony Bridgerton and Simon the new Duke of Hastings sat in the men's club enjoying drinks and discussing their futures.

Anthony laughed at Simon saying how must produce and heir and Anthony raised his glass before downing it, "I am in possession of something you are not, brothers."

Suddenly a tall man came into the club surrounded by other men who greeted him joyusly. 

He had dark eyes and brown hair to match. His sideburns were cut extremely short as if he didn't have them at all and he sported a sharp jawline and a row of perfect teeth. His hair was long enough to be pulled back into a small ponytail at the back of his head which he was rather fond of.

Simons's eyes widen suddenly at the sight of the man and a confused Anthony turned around in his seat to see what the commotion was all about.

"I thought The Count wasn't supposed to be back yet," Anthony asked Simon whose jaw was clenched and eyes narrowed.

"He's not. He's early" Simon replied just as Elliot ordered drinks for him and his company.

Count Elliot Kelly was a rather loud man and made sure every man in the room knew he was present and knew his status.

Not wanting to witness the brutality of the man any longer Simon downed his drink and began to walk out of the club.

"Hastings!"

Suddenly a strong hand clapped down on Simons's shoulders, shaking him, making his anger towards the man fester further than before.

Obviously, Elliot was drunk or at least intoxicated. And from past conversations with Grace, Simon knew a drunk Count, was a dangerous Count.

"Or should I say, Duke of Hastings?" Elliot laughed taking another swing of his drink the men around them laughed as well but Simon remained frozen.

"How are you old friend?" Elliot asked and Simon shrugged his arm off of him, "We are not friends."

Elliot let out another breathy laugh now griping Simon by both shoulders, "Any friend of my wife, is a friend of mine."

"Well she's not your wife yet, is she?" Simon once again removed his hands and began to leave the room.

"Where is she?"

Simon could tell from the tone of his voice The Count was beginning to grow angry. His voice was more clear now and deep, threatening.

Simon turned around modestly, "Who?"

Elliot stalked towards him as if suddenly becoming sober within seconds, "My Grace, she is supposed to be with you is she not?"

His eyes were now narrowed onto Simons, "Well I can assure you she's not here, we wouldn't want a repeat of last time."

Elliot cocked his head and smiled, "Why not? It was so much fun, wasn't it boys!" He yelled and the men cheered glasses raised.

"She is not just some toy you can use for your bidding." Simon spat at him. The men were chest to chest as if in a standoff. "She is mine to be wed, I will do with her as I please. And she definitely doesn't seem to mind." Elliot smiled in a way that was anything but kind. 

Anthony came down from his seat to try and pry Simon away from doing something he would regret. Elliot continued as Simon remained in silence, "Where is she?" He asked head tipping slightly upwards and voice coming down to a whisper.

Anthony answered before Simon could, "I believe she is at the opera with Lady Danbury."

Elliot's eyes hardened past memories of the viscount flickering in his eyes, "And you know this how?"

"My mother and brother were to accompany them,"

"I see" Elliot said before turning back to Simon, "Now that wasn't that hard was it?"

He turned away from the two men trying to rid himself of saying something to Anthony that he might regret, "Casein! Prep my horse we are going to see my wife."
At the last word, he glared at Simon before shoving past him, shoulder against shoulder.

A/N

Hi everyone I just wanted to give a huge thanks for the support I have gotten on this book so far. I truly appreciate all of the votes.

I would love to hear your opinions so please comment on any thoughts you have!

XX