13.

C h a p t e r   T h r i t e e n
A START OF SOMETHING NEW

Life always offers you a second chance. It's called tomorrow.

▼▼▼

My mind plays with the strings of my attention, pulled into the space that inhabits all my thoughts and worry. The walk back to the cabin was more silent than the first venture, neither Santha, Arsen, or I spoke during the walk; my mind replaying the events with Maarika. I couldn't help the continuous cycle of hurt and sympathy for Arsen as we grow closer to the place I've been occupying for a while now.

This hurt stems from the own death of my mother and the absence of my father, our situations somewhat similar and intertwining. The single thought invites the memories I have tried too hard to bury, to forget and understand everything that's slowly spiraling around me.

Soon enough, we were at the steps of the cabin, Santha moving forward to unlock the door. She widens it enough for both Arsen and me as the warmth that flooded from the fireplace instantly flushes my face just as I step over the threshold. I release a content sigh, finally escaping the harshness of winter that aimed for my soul; Arsen closes the door behind him with a soft thud.

"Lock the door, please," Santha sounds from the upper level.

Shaking off the large coat from my shoulders, I turn to see Arsen staring at the handle of the door, face etched with confusion as his hand hovers near its structure. A small chuckle heaves from me as I toss the material in my hands onto the coatrack and move to his side.

"This is the lock," I explain softly, reaching for the object above the knob, "turn it this way," I twist my hand to the left, the clicking of the lock snapping in place, "and it locks."

His stare burns the side of my face. I make the mistake of connecting our gazes, the richness of his eyes brings a deeper warmth to my body than the fire that exists not too far from us. The sizzling of electricity roars with newfound energy. The irises of his eyes gradually expand, his wide frame seeming to grow larger as he slowly stands to his full height, I will myself not to lose my sense of understanding the longer we hold our gazes, his features becoming more noticeable.

The betrayed image of my fingers running along the structure of his cheeks presses to the forefront, slowly caressing his chin with the small growth of stubble among it, and to trace the outline of his lips. . .

A pull anchors my stare from his eyes to said destination. I suddenly register my situation; my back to the wall with Arsen towering over me like a predator cornering its prey. My breathing increases at his proximity, his own being resembling my own. The world seemed to have faded away only leaving us as its inhabitants. My hands ached at my sides, curling to cease the trembling and urge to reach up and bring his face close to mine; to inhale his aroma and coat my body in his scent and let those around me know that he was mine and I was his and to bear a mark that tied my soul to his.

I jerk in place, the sudden animalistic turn of my thoughts striking me with shock. I blink away the haze and look up at Arsen with clear sight, his own taking on a darker shade that reminded me of the abyss that blanketed the sky. His body bows, slowly closing the height difference between us.

"Wait. . ." I whisper, gulping and pressing my fingertips into the fabric of his shirt, heat gliding from the throes of his body.

"I'm sorry. I. . I don't know what – I don't. ." I turn away from him and remove myself from his space, cheeks flaming with blood as I travel to the living room area.

As if on cue, Santha descends the stairs, the distant noise of the toilet flushing following her. She wipes her palms on the back of her jeans to rid of the remaining water that lingered. Raising her gaze, her eyes connect with mine before shifting to Arsen, his frame still standing near the small hallway of the front door.