3.

C h a p t e r  T h r e e
WONDERS OF THIS WORLD

When I look into your eyes, I feel something I can't explain.❞

▼▼▼

       I scream as cold hard fear slams into my system and immediately coursed through my veins, adrenaline beginning to pour itself into the mainstream and fuel my actions as I stumble away from Marcus — who looked startled at my outburst. His features return back to normal, gradually shrinking back to features of a human but that doesn't take away the mental image that burns its place in the corner of my mind, eating away at my sanity. Thoughts of what he could possibly do to me ebb at the existing fear that rises with each second, the realization that the rest of them were just like him strikes at my instincts.

"Wait! Don't be—" he didn't finish as I whirl away from him and rushed to the door, the same time it bursts open and hurtled in the second man with an alert and fierce expression.

I push myself roughly past him not a second later, and out into the deadly winter wonderland that waited for my being, my bare feet burned with the freezing snow sticking to them as I ran blindly out into the snow and farther away from what I was exposed to.

My breathing comes out in white puffs, my vision catching every face of the people that stood around and sat on logs as I run past their faces look on in wonder at my distraught appearance. I didn't let them or the blistering cold stop me from my escape as I dash away, my feet digging into the snow and towards the bare trees that called for me.

"Wait!"

I pumped myself faster, flying across the length of the clearing that separated me from the safe heaven that the trees gave off, their limbs reaching out as if to beckon me away from what lies behind me, my soul yearning for the feel of solitude and safeness. My feet sink into the snow as I lengthen the distance between me and Marcus and his people, breaking through the forest line and zigzag between the gaps of the trees.

Earlier events barrel into my mind eye's and cloud my vision. Red eyes and flashing fangs flicker in front of me causing me to trip over my own feet and stumble, I catch myself and push harder, the images coming at a faster pace. The red eyes were up close as I stared up at them, they were dull and void of any emotion, the next image was the same red eyes that stared at me in rage and bloodlust.

I gasp, out of breath with perspiration dotting at my forehead, my body willed me to stop and rest but I willed myself forward, dodging under hanging branches and sticks among the ground. My limbs burned with exhaustion, a flicker of an image flipping to the forefront of my mind — a body lied on the floor, marks along the neck, blood seeping from the wounds, deep enough to see the muscles and veins that were revealed beneath. The face was covered by a shadow that soon began to clear as another image conjured from the depths of my thoughts, face soon revealing what I've tried to bury.

My mother.

My heart shattered in my chest, the awareness that she was really gone setting in, it made me slow down my pace as everything came rushing back. I left her in the house alone, despite being dead or not, I left her body with that monster that took her away from me, to slowly decay and rot in a place I once called home. A howl in the distance ripped me from the depths of my dark thoughts, it sounded close and not too far behind, with an erratically beating heart I push myself harder than I've ever done in my life.

That's when I heard them.

The thumping sounds of foot-steps pounding against the ground, slowly closing in on me and causes my heart to lurch into my mouth. The distant sound of snapping tree branches was faintly heard, growing louder with each step it took; whatever this thing was, it was huge and quickly closing the distance between us.