8.

C h a p t e r E i g h t
CONNECTION

Can't you see that I'm lost in a sea of you. I'd rather drown in your shadows than swim in someone else's light.❞

▼▼▼

The night was silent and dead. The house was eerily quiet as I walked through the door with cautious steps.

"Mom?" I call out, looking around.

The house was a mess, things scattered across the floor in a disarray and objects broken to pieces.

"Dad?"

My voice now took on a quivering tone the further I walked inside, the winter night following me inside like a hovering ghost. An unknown feeling overcame me, something nudging at me that this was all familiar. A noise from the kitchen snapped my attention in that direction, deep inside me something was screaming at me to not take that step forward, but my feet had a mind of their own and I was already walking to the entrance of the kitchen.

The kitchen was in the same state as the living room and the entry to the house, everything was scattered and broken, liquid and debris all over the floor. Trembles racked my body, up and down my nerves as I move into the kitchen, the darkness and atmosphere swallowing me, my feet squash and noisily make a sound in something liquid and sticky.

I glance down, the light from the moon shines down on the wooden flooring, a sense of horror rocks me to the core as the color of the liquid fills my vision; it was blood. It had to be, there was no other as the blood trailed around the island counter of the room. My limbs begin to quake, I take tentative steps forward, nausea looming inside me as the sounds of my feet moving through the bloodied floor.

That was soon forgotten as my gaze flits down to the body that lays still, and cold on the floor where the blood trail ends and connects to a puddle beneath it. Everything within me freezes as I gaze down at my mother's face, her hair was fanned out around her, drenched in the blood that surrounds her upper body, the blood oozing from the claw-like markings on her neck.

Her eyes stared up above at the ceiling, those once bright brown eyes now dull and lifeless.

"Mom!"

I dive down toward her, my heart lurching just as my body does, my heart thudding repeatedly with fear and anxiousness that she was alright: just as I kneeled down beside her, the world darkened and disappeared. I was left on my knees in a blacked void with nothing I sight, I whipped around searching for something that wasn't there.

"MOM!"

My voice echoed all around me, the emptiness of this place closing in on me like the cage around my heart, a sudden chill runs down my spine with the presence of something dark that shifts the atmosphere. I slowly stand to my feet, clenching my hands together in an attempt to remind myself that this wasn't real, it was adornment it was a figment of my imagination.

"Who's there?!" I call out, turning from left to right in a full circle.

That dark energy presses further onto me and the shivers intensify down my spine and my scalp tingles with the feel of something watching over me.

"You should know. . ."

The voice was deep and baritone, the tint of darkness seeping through, the brush of air over my ear causes my heart to drop as I scramble away from the spot.