Chapter Four: The Promise

Kaname P.O.V

I stood there, keeping my gaze on Zero, my heart beating fast as she wiped the blood from her mouth. Zero...is a vampire.

Yuki P.O.V.

I straightened as I caught a scent in the air.

Katrina looked at me. "What's wrong, Yuki?"

I turned to the door. "I smell blood..."

Katrina stood up as I ran from the room. "Yuki!"

Kaname P.O.V

Zero looked at me, her eyes blazing red. "Kaname...I..." She took a step towards me and I felt myself tremble.

I looked at her and realized what I just did. "No..." I said. Zero looked at me, a hurt expression on her face.

"Kaname?!" I heard a familiar voice coming from the stairs.

"Y...Yuki?" I turned around.

Yuki's eyes narrowed when she saw the blood on Zero's face. "You have been reduced to a blood thirsty beast...Zero Kiryu." Yuki said as she pushed me behind her. I looked at Yuki and remembered the night she saved me as I notice the look on her face now is the same one as that night. "No." She'll kill Zero! I put myself between them. "No, Yuki!" I suddenly felt light headed and slumped back against Zero.

"...Kaname?" I heard Zero say.

"You devoured him mercilessly. He can't even stand up." Yuki said as she lifted me onto her back. "Was his blood so...delicious?" Yuki asked, her eyes darkening as Zero brought a hand up to her face.

I looked over at her. "Zero...Yuki, put me down. Zero..." I said as she carried me upstairs to where the headmistress was waiting.

"Headmistress." Yuki said.

"Yes...understood." Katrina said as she pushed her glasses up.

"Yuki...I'm all right now. I feel better after sitting for awhile." I said as I kept my hand against my neck.

"No." Yuki grabbed my chin and moved my hand away from the wound. "Show me." I closed my eyes as she examined it. "The blood has stopped flowing...but the puncture wounds...she really pierced you deeply. Kaname...does it hurt?" She asked, concerned.

"Huh?" I brought my hand up and realized I was crying. "Oh."

Yuki knelt down in front of me, putting her hand on my knee. "Are you afraid of vampires now?" She asked. I shook my head and looked at the ground. All this...I'm so confused, but I know one thing for certain. I...hurt Zero.

Headmistress Cross knocked on the door. "Yuki...shouldn't you be in class? The Night Class is starting to get noisy due to the smell of blood."

Yuki stood up. "All right." Headmistress Cross took out a bandage and placed it over the puncture wounds. "I took Zero back to her dorm room. She's calmed down now. I couldn't tell you the truth before. You must be surprised about what happened. I'm sorry, Kaname."

I looked up at her. "I never thought Zero might be a vampire. All this time..." I cut myself off.

"Yes. She was human...until four years ago...when a vampire attacked the Kiryu family. Zero barely survived. There were deep puncture wounds on her neck when she was found." Headmistress explained.

Zero was attacked by a vampire? "No...She used to be human...now she's a vampire? Because she was bitten by one?" I asked.

"Kaname, you think it is only legend? Humans who are bitten by vampires transform into vampires." She lightly touched the bandage. "It's true...There are vampires who can make humans into their own kind. A handful of...pureblood vampires."

I looked at her. "Pureblood..." I reached up, my hand trembling.

"Kaname, you don't have to worry. Zero isn't a pureblood vampire, obviously. So...you won't become a vampire yourself." I didn't understand anything. Zero...suffered...and suffered...for four years. What were you thinking, all by yourself? I tried to pay attention to the lesson, my hand going up to my neck.

"Zero isn't here today." Shino whispered.

"Yeah...she's been ill since last night." I whisper back. I haven't seen her since. She loathes vampires so much...She wants to kill them all...All this time, Zero...wanted to kill herself, too.

Zero P.O.V

I tossed my uniform jacket onto the bed next to my uniform. I heard something fall and looked down, seeing the photo of myselfand Kaname on our first day at the academy. I sat on the edge of my bed, Bloody Rose in hand as I unlocked the safety. I remembered the day Headmistress Cross gave it to me. As a member of the disciplinary committee, I'm giving this to you for emergency use. You can't hurt humans with this gun...but you can hurt vampires. I pressed it to the side of my head and closed my eyes, just as the door to my room opened.

Kaname P.O.V

I stood in the doorway, seeing what she was doing. "Zero!" I ran over, grabbing the gun and knocking her back onto the bed. "What were you going to do?!" I practically yell.

"...Nothing." She said.

"You're lying! You had the safety unlocked." I look down at her.

"Why did you come here?" She asks and I don't say anything. She grabs my wrist and flips us over.

"Ah!" I look up at her and flinches when she takes the bandage off.

"You heard it too? The sound of your blood being sucked in by me?" She puts her fingers against the puncture wounds. "After such a hair-raising experience...you can't act as if nothing has changed." She smirked and stood up, grabbing her duffel bag. "So don't interfere anymore." She left the room. I put my hand down, lightly tapping the photo and picks it up to look at it. I look down at it, thinking of the day it was taken. Hey, Zero, smile! I had said as I stood behind her, one hand on her shoulder and the other around her arm. Let go, Kaname. She said, looking annoyed. No. I smiled at her.

"That's right, I..." ... Was always...by your side Zero! I grabbed Bloody Rose and and ran after her, catching up to her as she reached the gates. "Wait! Where are you going? Wait! Stop!" I leaned against the wall, panting. "If you don't stop, I"ll shoot you..." Running makes me dizzy... I felt her grab the barrel of the gun.

"Stop it. You'll injure your shoulders. Let go of it, Kaname." She said.

"I won't." I gripped it with both hands. "I don't...want to let go of you like this." I said, looking at her.

She looked at me and brought the barrel up to her throat. "I couldn't stop myself from devouring you. I may kill the next human...I target as my prey." She said with a menacing smile. "Shoot me. You're afraid of me, aren't you?" She let go and turned around. "Hold the gun with both hands, and aim straight. Aim for the center." No, Zero... "It's not a crime to kill a vampire." She said and continued walking. ...I won't do it! I dropped the gun and ran up to her, hugging her from behind. I can feel...the pain that you're hiding.

"I didn't understand anything. But I've been with you for four years. I'm not afraid." I tightened my grip. "I can stop you. If...that time comes." I said. "If you want me to stop you...I will stop you." I closed my eyes. I will be her ally. The Headmistress, Yuki, and I...are the only ones...who know...Zero is a vampire.

Yuki P.O.V

I stood behind her desk, using my letter opener to slice open the envelope but had sliced my thumb in the process. I threw it down, the blade slamming into the photo of Kaname and Zero, hitting her in the throat.