12: I don't drop a couch on Elliot's head

It took us a while to gather Miguel’s and Elliot’s superhero things. A few boxes had been dropped off earlier in the day by the Conspiracy for them, mostly personal effects that had been packed up from their place in DC. We dug through the boxes for Miguel’s mask. He was still using the one Rory had given to us the night we learned about the Conspiracy and agreed to help them track down our brainwashed schoolmates. 

When they finally got dressed, we had to have a long discussion about why I got a cooler supersuit than they did. (Because I paid so much money for it, was my answer). They were still wearing their Paramount Lake Academy jumpsuits that had been used for our superhero physicals. The material was a navy blue that was universally flattering but nothing exciting to look at. They had at least ripped off the Academy emblems that used to be sewn onto the chest. 

They wanted me to wear mine too so we could all match. But I had spent enough money on my sleek new suit with it’s blue and green design and more breathable material. The Academy jumpsuits were extremely durable and had previously saved me from being burned alive, but the material felt like rubber compared to my new contraption. 

Finally, I had to help Diana pack and find suitable civilian clothes for Elliot and Miguel to wear over their supersuits. On my own, I could get ready for patrol in five minutes, with the whole group of us, it took nearly an hour. 

The train to Stones was pretty empty by the time we got on it. I corralled us into the back of a car, told my friends to look as unassuming as possible and pulled out my cellphone to pass the time. 

On instinct, I typed in the secure phone number. I knew I should relay what was happening in Nova City. It was important information. Miguel and Elliot had arrived at my doorstep, kids were going missing. But I wasn’t sure how it would help our bigger mission. 

Before I could make the decision to send a text or not, my phone lit up with an incoming phone call. Rory’s name and number were scrawled across the screen alongside an unflattering photo of her and me after a training session. Both of us were sweaty and a little bloodied from the fight, but we were smiling at the camera. That was my first week at the Conspiracy. 

I swiped to accept the call. “Hello?”

“The building is clear for work tomorrow, so I expect you in the office bright and early.”

I faked a groan. “I was hoping Super Evil Co. had burned down the building so I could get another day off.” Diana shot me a worried look at the words Super Evil Co, but I waved her off.

“Didn’t you enjoy your surprise?”

A grin grew on my face, even though I knew she couldn’t see it. “Was the break in just a lie to get me to stay home so I would be there when they showed up?”

Her voice turned grim. “I wish. But there really was a security issue. We think it’s resolved now, and there’s no sign that any data was tampered with or erased.” Then she sounded even more distraught. “Are you on the metro?”

My quick thinking saved me. “Just popping out for a bite to eat. Got to show the newcomers around the city.”

She didn’t buy it. “You’re supposed to be recovering, Anna! I thought you would take a few days off patrol to spend time with Miguel and Elliot.”

“Don’t worry the boys are here with me.” My eyes narrowed in suspicion. “Wait, did you only send them here as a ploy to keep me off patrol?”

“If I had any power over reassignment I would have tried that two weeks ago. You’ll have to thank Graham for giving Devon the idea to transfer them to the city. But I am not the one in the wrong here. You’re supposed to be a good influence on them.”