20. a love that kills

CHAPTER 20

A LOVE THAT KILLS

❝ You loved a man who treated you

like absinthe, half poison and half god  

1921, London

"For fuck's sake, how hard can it be to find a good gang name?" Kaya grumbled as they all huddled over a table filled with absinthe export contracts and suitcases full of cash.

"What about the French Horns?" Jules slouched down on the piano's bench, raising his hands in defeat at the shower of growls he received. "Fine, I got it! No horns for us. Even if we're the devil..."

As if summoned, Rose and Steaphan walked right in, arms entangled and eyes locked as always. Rose was still wiping some of the lipstick off Steaphan's face, and he had that look of adoration in his eyes that he only ever had for her.

"Oi, you two lovebirds, stop making eyes at each other and help us out, will ya, we're trying to find a name for the gang!" Arwen waved a wad of pounds in front of them, pulling Rose out of the trance Steaphan always put her in.

"We don't need a name, we act in the shadows," Rose said. "In fact, it's best no one knows us by a name."

Angeline stared at her nails. "But a name incites respect. And fear."

"Yeah, like those Peaky Blinders from Birmingham," Audrey crooned, dreamy sigh rivaling her starry eyes. "Everyone knows them now. And everyone fears them."

"We don't." Nicolas handed a glass of absinthe to Rose and Steaphan, gloomy stare lingering on the arm wrapped around her waist. If it couldn't be his own arm, he was glad it was Steaphan's. It was hard feeling jealous of a man that made her so happy. "They've been expanding their business in London. Word is they're advancing on the Sabinis and the Solomons. The leader, that Shelby... he has a meeting with Alfie next week."

"We're letting him take over Solomons?" Kaya frowned. "We have business with him. What if he double-crosses us?"

"Alfie needs the alliance, actually." Rose took a sip of the greenish, anise laced drink. They had been trying to come up with a good label to sell it, but it was working as well as finding a name for the gang. "He's losing the war with the Sabinis because he refuses to use the police. Thomas Shelby will make him see that."

"Aren't you afraid he'll do the same to us?" Renée asked, always the voice of reason. "That he tries to take over our properties and business?"

"No. He can't come after what he doesn't know exists."