13. all things trouble

CHAPTER 13

ALL THINGS TROUBLE

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane

by those who could not hear the music. 

"So... how do I look?" When Andrea pulled the curtain and stepped out of the fitting room at Sienna's boutique, Rose looked up from the papers she had been skimming through and smiled.

"Absolutely dazzling, darlin'!" The freckles on Arwen's face stood out as she grinned, and every Kisser inside the store nodded approvingly at the dark blue dress.

"And you'll look even better with these," Élodie added, picking a handful of headbands with feathers and pearls for Andrea to choose from.

"And don't forget the shoes!" Audrey went over to Andrea, fixing her bob cut before handing her a pair of black t-strap heels her mother would have never let her use in France. "There. Like a true flapper girl."

"I don't know how you do it, Sienna." Renée shook her head. "Every dress you make is more beautiful than the previous one, I wouldn't be surprised if soon enough you're in Paris showcasing all of your wonderful designs."

"Those are just dreams," Sienna said, shoulders describing a humble curve while her chin tilted up with timid pride.

"We all had them." There was a tinge of nostalgia hidden away in Élodie's tone as she spoke. "I wanted to be an actress, to star in Broadway. But my parents thought the acting job was no fit for a lady, so they sent me to Britain instead. And then the war broke, breaking the dreams inside people too."

"What about you, Rose?" Andrea asked, a curious glint in her eyes towards the woman who rarely spoke of herself. They said women talked, but Rose didn't. She listened, and she thought, and she suffered, and she did all those in silence. Because she didn't think her pain was worth paining others. "What did you want to be, before the war?"

"I don't know," Rose mused. For her, the past was just a door the present kept opening no matter how many times she tried to close it. Like she had told Thomas, they needed to move. Up in life, if possible. So the past wouldn't catch them, so the future would. "I've always wanted to help people, but I wanted to do it through music. It was only when the war became imminent that I considered doing it through nursing."

"And you wanted to be a veterinary, at one point," Renée recalled. "When you were a child you used to spend more time with horses than with people. Mom said they calmed you down while people pissed you off."

"Now that's something that didn't change." Angeline had one of her rare smiles on, something that could only have to do with the song Jules had composed and performed for her the night before.