04. retrouvailles

CHAPTER 4

RETROUVAILLES

❝ The joy of meeting or finding someone again after a long time. 

London Bridge Station

As she watched the blurred, foggy streets pass before her eyes, Andrea De La Cour couldn't help but think that God must have certainly forgotten London when he went to paint the world. It was as if every colorful and vibrant brushstroke had gone to every other city, leaving the Big Smoke in a permanent state of dullness and bleakness.

It didn't help that the rain was falling heavily on the train windows, or that thick, murky clouds gathered together in the dark sky, paving the way for a dreadful storm. Andrea tried not to take it as a bad omen of her arrival. She wanted this to work. Her brother was in England, building a safe future for them, and it was her duty not to bring France into it. As far as she knew, safe futures couldn't be built over the flimsy foundations of the past.

Suddenly, an abrupt, shrill whistle pulled Andrea out of her thoughts as the train jerked to a stop and the people around her frenziedly picked their luggage and rushed to the exit. Andrea was the only one who didn't move, standing still for a few seconds, disoriented. She wasn't used to all that movement, the agitation. And as the sky shook with electricity, so did her heart, longing for the quiet streets of her town, for the familiarity she had left behind and was afraid she'd never again find. But just because London wasn't her home, it didn't mean she couldn't make one in it; she was determined to enjoy her new life as best as she could, and if that meant enduring bad weather and strange accents, then so be it.

Sighing heavily, Andrea reached for her bags, struggling under their weight as she clumsily made her way towards the train door and got soaked in seconds. To complete the perfect welcoming, a thunder rumbled in the air outside, sending a single shiver running down her spine.

I'm going to fall, she thought as her feet shakily hit the stairs. I have just yet arrived, and the first thing I'm going to do in London is fall. I'm pretty sure when my mother told me to go do memorable things in here, to sprawl straight across the dirty sidewalk of this damned town wasn't what she had in mind.

"M-merde...", she stuttered as she crossed the gap between the train and the platform and slid on the wet floor. She felt her ankle spraining and her balance slipping away, sending her luggage skidding across the pavement and her body crashing against that of someone else's.

"Wow, that's quite the entrance, love", she heard the person say as his hand went to her side to steady her and prevent both of them from falling to the railway. Her eyes looked up instantly, clashing against the hazel ones of a freckled boy as between them the rain seemed to suddenly intensify and above them a lightning tore the sky in half. "Are you alright?"