Chapter 1- This Can't Be Happening

Over the past few months my shows have grown bigger, even though they aren’t huge. I’m playing big clubs and bars now thanks to ‘All My Friend’s Say,’ my first single. I could hear the crowd cheering awaiting me to go on the stage at Billy Bob’s in Fort Worth, Texas. In less than 10 minutes to go until I go on stage. I have the best team helping me on this roller coaster ride, but none have been more helpful than Kerri, my manager. She’s just been a godsend since I hired her.

“Shit! I forgot my hat on the bus!” I shouted realizing I hadn’t put my KMC hat back on when I got out of the shower about an hour ago.

“I’ll go get it. Luke, you need to start being a little more responsible,” Kerri informed me.

“I know. I’ll remember it next time,” I promised.

“It’s starting to become a regular thing, Luke. You are constantly forgetting something,” Kerri told me while one of the sound guys was wiring me up for the show.

“I’ll step up,” I told her as she walked away.

It shouldn’t take long for her to run to the bus and get back. It’s just right through the doors down the hallway. I stood waiting when Larry one of the roadies came running down the hallway with my hat in his hand.

“Where’s Kerri?” I asked him as I put that hat on my head.

“She said to tell you that something came up and she will be back as soon as possible,” Larry told me.

“What the hell?” I asked before Kerri’s assistant, Amanda, came up.

“Kerri will be here by the time the show is done. I don’t know what happened, but she’s taking care of something,” Amanda informed me with a somewhat panicked expression.

“Alright,” I said in disbelief as I took the stage.

The crowd was alive and the bar was hopping. It was probably one of the best shows I’ve had in a while. I couldn’t wait to come back out with a few friends later and kick back, but first I had a few things to take care of. I stepped off the stage to see Kerri standing there.

“The show was great!” Kerri exclaimed trying to conceal her worry.

“What’s going on, Kerri?” I asked, “I know you only saw the last ten minutes.”

“Someone tried to break into your bus,” Kerri informed me.

“What do you mean? The door wasn’t locked. Or at least I don’t think it was,” I questioned.

“Do you have the key?” Kerri asked me.

“It’s right here. I always keep it on me after I got locked out a few months back,” I told her.

“Okay,” Kerri said, “Let’s go. There’s a guy from 95.9 The Ranch, Shayne Hollinger, who wants an interview with, and I quote, Country’s Next Superstar.”

“Let’s go,” I said as we started walking to the press room at Billy Bob’s, “Who tried getting into my bus?”

“I don’t know who she was,” Kerri started to explain, “When I went to get your hat she was trying to get the door open and I hollered at her. She turned around and then just took off running. Some of the roadies took off after her, but she disappeared.”

“I’m glad the door was locked,” I told her as we stepped into the press room.

“Great show tonight, Luke,” Shayne told me as he shook my hand.

“Thank you,” I said politely.

The interview went great, but I was so ready just to get a shower and relax with some buddies. Kerri and I walked back to the bus in silence. There were several people standing outside of my bus, which in all honesty was quite the norm. By the time I got back and showered a lot of us would kick back with a beer and wait for time to roll out.