10| cries

Damon

***

I ran my hands over my face as I stared at the dress that was on my bed.

She was here.

Was the only words that were running through my mind for the past  few minutes. She was now the only person on my mind once again. I instantly thought of her smile, her laugh, her mocking faces and her heart of gold. But then I instantly remember the cries I heard every night.

Her silent whimpers and her shaky breathing. And she sometimes she'd stay up at night and silently cry to the sky mumbling soft and incoherent words. I watched her hallucinate and scream out in pain. And how Aaron was never there for her. The breaking of the glasses and how some mornings she'd take out the old mirror. But my brother wasn't the only bad guy, I was too.

It was one of the nights where she was crying once again that I just added more to it. I'm not going to lie and say I don't regret it. What the hell? Of course I do. I was willing to let my own anger consume me and add more suffering to her misery. But I still admired how she was able to put on a fake smile even after I had said all of those things to her.

She didn't deserve to suffer. At all.

I finally snapped out of my thoughts and got off the bed and folded the item of clothing back into her black suitcase. It's crazy how I didn't realize that I had taken someone else's suitcase.

Once I zipped up her suitcase I threw the finished Apple into the bin but not before I heard a loud voice.

"Please listen to me. You do not want me to lose control."

Why did that voice sound so familiar? I quickly went back to the bathroom and covered my body with the hotel robe and slipped on the shoes too. I heard the voice once again but this time it was louder. "I need to find him."

Not in rush, I decided to take the stairs as I was on my way on the receptionists floor and the voice got louder. Then I finally took my last step anc I looked up only to find a woman with an identical robe on. Her back was facing me and her dark hair was wet as her front faced the receptionist who did not look like she was paying attention to her.

The woman in the robe seemed ticked off when her fingers drummed on the desk and her forehead pressed on the desk. The sound of groans and her foot hitting the floor did not go unnoticed by me.

I decided to finally walk over to receptionist myself and she seemed to have seen me-- recognize me from earlier. "Hello there my boy," Her pink shimmery painted lipstick lips was now out stretched in a smile and she battered her eyelashes once, no twice, three, four times.

"What can I do for ya," I heard her southern accent. "Well I'm currently looking for someone but I can't really find them,"

"Ooh, seems like you're not the only person that's searching for somebody," she said and her eyes landed to woman who still had her head down. "Really?" I raised a brow and she answered with a  'mm mhmm'

"So it is possible if I can get this person's room number? There's a possibility that I might find the person whom I accidentally swapped suitcases with." I said. "Sounds quite familiar," she blew a bubble with her gum.

"Really?" I asked again and she nodded. "You know I can't do that though. It's against the privacy policies of the hotel," she said and looked at me after some time of her head being glued on the computer. "Oh come on," I paused and pouted "Kathy."

"Ok fine," she sighed and went on the computer once again.

Unlike other receptionists, Katherine was my favorite. I mean she did come off flirtatious at first but then I got used to her in the short amount of time, I actually grew to like her a lot more. She was genuinely a bubbly person who really didn't give a damn. I was shocked when she was introducing me to her daughter who looked exactly like her but missed her mother's color eyes.

And it was at that time where I noticed the wedding band that on her finger and she told me the whole story of her and her husband. How they first met, their first date, how she fell In love and how despite their troubles, they were still strong and  together.  A few hours passed that night of her telling me her story and although it was long, I listened because she reminded me of my mother and her story was what I'd wish for.

My mother was so much like her. In terms of their personalities; they were both super kind, loving, patient and very open. They loved people and they were both sassy and had a strict side.

Overall amazing.

"So tell me what's her name young man," I snapped out my thoughts but answered anyways. "Melinoe. Melinoe Montez,"

Kathy took a look at me.  "With the middle name; 'Mariá Luísa'?" I furrowed my brows before answering with a yes. "Oh but sweetie, it's the impatient yet lovely woman right next to ya,"

I turned to look at the head that was still down. I then saw her dark hair was drying out. Was she sleeping? Why wasn't she saying anything? Had she gone deaf now? I noticed that the drumming of her fingers had stopped as well as the tap of her feet.

Kathy went ahead and tapped her arms lightly and she jolted a little and I could then see her side profile. She took out something from her ears and I saw the white AirPods.

Oh.

Ooh.

She hadn't seen me yet but I could see that it was her. "Did you find anything Katherine?"

"Oh sweetie, he's right next to ya," her brows furrowed and then she turned to look at me.

Her eyes widened but I saw a glimpse of expectation. Like she already expected for me to be there.

"Hey," I scratched the back of my neck.