vi. liquid luck

"Attention to detail in the preparation is the prerequisite of all planning." Professor Horace Slughorn beamed at his students, elated at resuming his previous post as the Potions professor.

Violet stood beside Hermione, who was busy shooting death glares at Lavender Brown—who, in turn, was looking at the Weasley boy with such lovestruck gaze one would reckon she was slipped a love potion.

The sound of footsteps entering the room caught the Professor's attention, "Ah, Mattheo! Please join us. We were just about to start." He cautiously said, his voice laced with distress. Poor old man, Violet thought, he was undoubtedly disturbed by the presence of the young Riddle, prompting bitter memories to resurface. Although Professor Slughorn had a penchant for collecting notable students like prized possessions, he proved to be efficient at his job. More importantly, he occasionally throws lavish galas that would allow his favourites to form valuable connections, so Violet was more than pleased to be on his good side.

"—Now, as I was saying. I prepared some concoctions earlier. Can anyone tell me what these might be?"

Violet and Hermione's hands shot up simultaneously, both looking at each other with an impish grin.

"Yes, Miss. Lestrange!" He asked, eyes twinkling with delight. "Veritaserum, it's a water-like truth serum. The other potion would be Amortentia, the most powerful love potion in existence. The scent differs for each person, according to what attracts them. However, despite its power, it does not result in genuine love, only infatuation or obsession."

"Excellent, ten points to Slytherin!" The professor rumbled, holding a small vial between his fingers, "—and this, a curious little potion, is known as Felix Felicis or—"

"Liquid Luck!" Hermione cut in firmly, sending a sly smirk to Violet. "Yes, a rather tricky potion to make, Miss. Granger. One sip and you will find all of your endeavours succeed," The professor added. "So, this is what I offer each of you today! A vial of liquid luck to the student who manages to brew the best Draught of Living Death."

"Let the brewing commence!" He announced as each student made their way to gather the ingredients needed. Violet looked at Mattheo as he settled at the desk across hers, meticulously arranging the ingredients to be added in order. She watched him gracefully cut and add each ingredient to his cauldron, giving it a careful stir before proceeding to the next step.

Mattheo looked at her, aware of her stare. "Shouldn't you be paying attention to your potion, Lestrange?" he asked, throwing the Sopophorus Bean's juice into his cauldron.

Rose stained her cheeks, embarrassed at being caught ogling him, "You're doing it wrong."

He hummed, peering over at her cauldron, "I could say the same for you." Her brows furrowed at the remark. Staring at her own potion, it had turned a dark purple complex, different from the pale lilac shade bubbling in Mattheo's cauldron.

"I was simply following the book," she retorted, vigorously stirring her pot.

"Quite horribly, I must say" His lips quirking upwards at her frustration.

"Well, aren't you so perfect, Riddle" She spat, throwing pieces of valerian root into her cauldron, annoyed at its dreadful colour. She was obviously doing it wrong, but her pride would never let her ask for assistance from anyone. No, not especially from the arrogant boy in front of her. She looked over at Hermione's station. Her brown curls were now in tangles as she repeatedly ran her fingers through it, frantically flipping through her Potions manual. Behind her was Draco, slumped on his desk as Pansy aided to his cauldron. Lazy bastard, Violet thought. At least she wasn't alone in her failure.

By the time class was over, no one has managed to brew an acceptable Draught of Living Death. Or so she thought, until Professor Slughorn bustled over to Mattheo's desk, dropping a leaf above his cauldron. "My boy, this is perfect!" He beamed, watching the tiny leaf dissolve as it touched the liquid. "Thank you, sir." He smoothly replied, shooting the dumfounded girl a wink. Violet can only gape at him in disbelief.

"As promised, one vial of Felix Felicis. Congratulations!" Slughorn said, handing the tiny vial to Mattheo. The rest of the class awarded him an applause; even Hermione—her usual competitor, did so.

"This is absurd!" Violet whispered beside her, frustration radiating off her skin. "You must admit he's a natural..." Hermione said in defeat, "I wonder what he'll use it for."

"Probably to recruit more death eaters," Harry said bitterly. Truth be told, Violet felt sorry for him. She wondered what he must've felt to regularly see the son of the man who murdered your parents. It didn't help that the said son shared the same facial features as his father, only adding salt to Harry's wounds.

But she also wondered what Mattheo felt. Having everyone's eyes on him, crucifying the boy for his father's crimes. It was no secret that the Ministry of Magic and the rest of Hogwarts think of him as a threat, an accomplice of Lord Voldemort's evil plans. But did he really share his father's beliefs or was he also a victim of his immoralities? Violet realised she knew nothing about him, and that it was unfair to assume the worse from him because of his name. The wizards who detest the prejudice against muggle-borns were the same lot that stereotyped Slytherins as "evil" because of their supposed ties with the Dark Arts. The hypocrisy of it all heavy in Violet's mind. Perhaps she and Mattheo were the same. After all, she was a Lestrange and he, a Riddle; eternally bound to their family's sins.

**************

Happy New Year, everyone! I'm so giddy about the feedbacks I've been receiving. I hope you guys continue to read this story :) A new face will pop up soon!

This chapter was inspired by the potions scene from Harry Potter and the Half-blood Prince, and I was thinking of a more traditional route so I might just follow the movie (with some twists of my own). I hope it's not getting too boring as I don't want to rush the relationship...but do let me know!

Wishing everyone a better year <3 Stay safe!