Chapter 13 - Edge of the Wild

Above the emporium, Delly had an apartment with plenty of spare rooms. Oliver slept there for the night. Heat emanated from the wood stove in the corner, and through the pock-marked floor he could hear the music and commotion of the showroom below.

He had just drifted off to sleep when he was awakened by the peal of bells. Bong. Bong. Bong. There came the sound of shuffling outside his door, followed by the creaking of floorboards. He heard soft murmuring downstairs and then a sharp horn cut through the night.

"Oliver!" It was Delly's voice calling to him. "Wake up!"

He threw off the covers just as she burst into the room. "What's happening?" he asked, rubbing the sleep from his eyes.

"No time. We have to go. Put this is on." She threw a gray cloak around his shoulders and dumped a pair of leather boots in his arms. "Hurry!" He struggled into them and then raced after her. Downstairs, Iri and the few remaining night staff were bundling up luggage and packing it into a wagon that waited at the front steps.

The horn sounded again- a high-pitched wailing that reminded Oliver of a siren.

He grabbed hold of the crate Iri was struggling with and helped her heave it onto the wagon. "What's going on?" he asked.

She wiped sweat from her brow. "They've spotted the Queen. She's coming this way with an army of changelings."

All around the night air was filled with shouts and flashes of light. Across the street, there were other people loading their wagons and caravans. It reminded Oliver of the night they had left the desert, only tonight the buzz in the air was fearful. This was a different type of evacuation.

"Everyone in," Delly called. She glowed purple in the darkness. "We're going to my parents' house." The night staff and Oliver climbed onto the cart, squeezing in between the luggage. But Iri hesitated.

"Come on, Iri," Delly urged. "I am not staying in this cursed city a second longer."

"I'm not coming."

"Like hell you aren't." Delly reached out to pull her aboard, but Iri was unmoving.

"I have to go to the Council," she said. "I need to stay in the city."

Delly pursed her lips and glowered. "Now is not the time to play hero."

Iri stepped back. "I'm staying."

"Fine." Delly crossed her arms and lifting her chin. "Unload the cart."

"No! Delly, don't do this."

"If you're staying, I am staying. It's that simple. Come, come!" She clapped her hands. "Start unpacking!"

While the employees nervously eyed one another and hesitantly began undoing the knotted ropes, Oliver hopped off wagon and went to Iri.

"What's up?" he asked, pulling her out of Delly's earshot.

"I need to see the Queen," she said. "I don't know why, but I just feel like there's something important happening." She sighed. "Delly's too practical to understand."

A stray eyelash rested on Iri's check, and Oliver instinctively moved to brush it away. This close he could count the freckles across her skin, and before he realized it he'd let his hand linger just a moment too long.

"Oliver..." she began, and in a snap decision that seemed to shock them both, he kissed her. Her eyes went wide and they both stepped back, and he felt his face turn as red as Iri's looked.

"Uh, go to the Council," he stammered, his heart racing. "Leave Delly to me." He hoped she sensed that he was every bit as hopelessly whimsical as she was. He hoped she could feel him saying: follow the wind and see where it goes.