Chapter 16 - Bees in a Hive

Oliver opened his eyes to the blue haze of dusk. One of Tien's scouts, a muscled man with pointed ears and milky eyes, stood over him.

"Get up," he said, dropping a canvas pack beside him. "It's almost dark, and we need to make camp."

Oliver sat up, resisting the wave of revulsion that churned in his stomach. Every inch of his body ached from spending the whole day trapped in the cage.

"Where are we?" he asked.

"Who knows?" Lloyd answered. He was sprawled out on his stomach and resting his cheek in the dirt. "We're still in the wretched forest, I can tell you that much."

They'd spent the whole night in the cage. Lloyd was somehow more annoying as a mouse, running in circles and trying to gnaw at the metal bars. When Cassia had come to feed them that morning, he'd darted out of the open door.

But she was lightning fast.

"Shh," she cooed, holding Lloyd cupped in her hand. "You'll never survive in the forest like this." She'd put him back in the cage and then said, "One of our scouts found the Council and Iri. They're going to the Queen's lair, aren't they? We're going to meet her there, so behave until then."

They'd spent the whole day journeying through the forest, carried by one of Tien's scouts. It was a bumpy ride, and at one point they were dropped and went tumbling. But somehow they'd survived.

"I think Iri hates me," Lloyd said, flopping onto his back.

"Why do you say that?"

"Because she sent me on this quest."

Oliver snorted. "If it makes you feel any better, I'm the idiot who came willingly."

"That does make me feel better, if only because I think it means our chances of being found are higher. Iri won't come looking for me."

Oliver couldn't imagine Iri abandoning either of them to Tien. "Look on the bright side," he said. "Maybe we'll beat the Council to the Queen, and then you can take all the credit for capturing her."

"Hey!" Cassia called. "If you wanna keep your two legs I suggest you get on them. You can sleep in a tent, or you can sleep in a cage- your choice."

They both leapt to their feet.

Lloyd dumped out the contents of his tarred knapsack. There was a canteen of water, a tin plate, some rope, and a tightly-rolled tent. Oliver had the same items plus someone had added the journal to his bag.

Staring at the tent he suddenly wished he could remember those camping trips with Dad. He spread out the canvas, hammered the stakes into the ground, and then set about wrestling with the rope.

"What are you doing?" Lloyd asked, watching him struggle.

He let go of the rope and the whole structure drooped. "I'd like to see you do any better."

"Oh?" Lloyd said archly. He unceremoniously dropped his tent on the ground. "Watch this." He waved his hand over the heap of fabric and starting muttering rhythmically. After a second, the tent began to rise like a puppet on a string.

"That's cheating," Oliver said.

"That is being a conjurer."

Suddenly, Tien interrupted them. "I didn't know you were so talented, magician." He was sitting in a low wooden chair that was lacquered oxblood red. "Come, help me build the fire."

"Magician?" Lloyd repeated, sounding offended.

The scout with the milky eyes came over and dropped a pile of logs into his arms. "Something to get you started," he said.