Part 5

Vote and comment if you like :)

________________

Chicago, Illinois, 1987

Maya had never been drunk before. Sure, she had a beer here and there, but she was responsible. Tonight, however, she got drunk. Nothing serious, but certainly the only time Duff had ever seen her tipsy. 

She looked at Slash with an indescribable expression. He narrowed his eyes.

"What?" he asked suspiciously.

 She let out a war cry and jabbed her elbow into his gut. He cringed and tackled her. She started squealing.

"Fuck, no! No-" she wheezed. She was in pajamas and her hair was out. Duff always liked her hair, but especially when it was unconfined. He stared at her as she and Slash rolled around on the floor.

"Going-ugh-to kill you," Slash said through gritted teeth. Steven entered the room and grabbed her bare calves.

"Lift," he ordered Slash. They heaved her up into the air and squashed her body between them. All three were laughing now. Slash gestured to him.

"Some help, please?"

Duff shook his head and smiled, getting up from his seat and walking over. As he approached, Maya turned her mirthful face toward him and smiled. Her hair poofed around her face. He almost melted. He hesitantly reached toward her torso, but before he could touch her she grabbed his hand and pulled it under her. Stunned at the contact, Duff wrapped his arms firmly around her middle and lifted her higher. 

"Sorry, why are we doing this?" he asked them.

Steven and Slash looked at each other, then Maya. She laughed again.

"I don't know. I don't know."

They collapsed. She slipped further into his arms as Slash and Steven let go. He tried not to be awkward, but her shirt had been tugged up and his hands were now on her smooth back. He was mortified but she didn't seem to notice. Still smiling, she got out of his arms and sauntered over to her boyfriend. The loss of her skin beneath his fingers left him feeling relieved and disappointed. He gulped and straightened his shirt.

Steven looked up at her adoringly and placed his hands on the backs of her thighs, right below her butt. She ran her hands over his head and sank down into his lap. The two kissed gently then  stared into each other's eyes. Duff had never really seen what people in love looked like. Now it was right in front of him.

Fuck. 

Duff loved Steven and he loved Maya. He loved them individually and as a couple. But you still like her, don't you? his inner voice nagged. Shut up. Look at her, Michael. She's practically naked. I said... shut the fuck up!

He felt ill. Without speaking to his friends, he went to bed. Slash watched him knowingly. They had an understanding. No one ever spoke about it, especially not to Steven. Maya was theirs and they all protected her, but she was Steven's first. Duff would never act on his feelings. Ever.

"Your roots are showing." Axl ruffled his hair. Duff cringed. It was true. Sometime he didn't mind the darker hair peeking through, but right now it was killing him. 

They were in Chicago for another night. Izzy and Slash were out, Axl and Duff were in, and Steven and Maya were somewhere together, or so he thought.

The door clicked open and she strolled in with a plastic bag on one arm and a piece of paper in the other.