Part 7

Vote and comment if you like :)

________________

Chicago, Illinois, 1989

Axl was entertaining one of his girls. His girlfriend had left him (rightly so) and he was in a funk. Duff observed their interactions. He would say something smooth, she would giggle, he'd smirk. Duff was not judging him of course, just watching. He didn't have the energy to judge. Not anymore.

Liquor is a hell of a thing. 

It was strange. Staying with Maya and Steven had been one of the few times in the past couple years, no, his life, that he felt truly alive. But they were in LA and he was here surrounded by drunk and depressed rockstars. He looked around at the group and suddenly couldn't breathe.

"Man, you okay?"

"Yeah, yeah, um. I- uh- I'm just gonna head out." He staggered to his feet and held a hand up in goodbye. Not many seemed to notice, but Axl looked over and nodded at him. Duff avoided his eyes.

He let out a giant sigh and curled up on his bed. He lay fully-clothed for a while, numb. 

Ring. Ring. The phone went on a bit before he picked up. 

"Hello?" he garbled.

"She's going into surgery."

Maya.

"Fuck. Fuck, really?"

"Yeah. Her mom is here. I'm kinda- um- kinda losing my shit here." His voice was throaty.

"Yeah. Is she okay? I mean the doctor- did he like- did he say anything?"

"He said it'll go pretty smoothly, but I'm still freaking out. Fuck, what if I can't do this?"

You need to.

"You can, okay? She needs you. Focus on that."

"Yeah. Yeah."  Maybe it was the booze but he sounded far away to Duff.

"Look-"

"I have to get in there. Call you later."

"Okay. Go." He hung up the phone. He wanted to hug his friend, but he wanted to hold her even more. He closed his eyes and rested his head against the wall, falling asleep.

Ring. Ring.

He jolted awake and was confused for a moment before grasping the telephone.

"Duff?"

Oh. God.

"My?"

"How are you?"

He snapped out of his daze.

"What do you mean how am I, how the fuck are you? Jesus, are- are you good?"

"Yes."

"You sure? Steven, the...babies, everything's all good?"

"Yes. Although my stomach hurts like a bitch."

Thank you. He wasn't very religious, but in this moment he thanked something or someone for keeping them safe.

"Um, names? What did you name them?" The panic subsided and excitement rushed in.

"Well, she's Ivy. We aren't sure on middle names, though."

"That's great, My. The boy?"

"Michael."

"Oh-" Oh.

"You still there?" she teased.

"Yeah, um, Michael. That's a good name."