~Torching New York City (Pt. 2): Yandere! Mafia boss! Jared x Mafia! reader~

Did you know they actually have arranged marriages in the Mafia?

~Y/n's POV~

As the morning light tiptoed into my old, damp room, I pressed my flat pillow into my eyes. I was still dirty from the trade. Though every time I looked into the pillow, the wet streaks of tears never disappeared from the fading fabric.

Giovanni was dead.

I was to be engaged to a Russo tomorrow.

I heard scratching against the outside wall, and I quickly dismissed it as a rodent skittering through the filthy factory that I called home.

My eyes were sore and glued to the darkness of my pillow. I had a few hours to think about my choice of marrying a Russo. Questions tugged at my mind—like if I would really get married at 16. Would I get a chance to get to know my husband-to-be before we tie the knot?

Would any of them even satisfy me?

All of the Russo's were older: usually late twenties to early eighties. I accepted the fact Leonardo Russo would want me to marry one of his sons.

But which one?

I had no idea how many sons he had, or their ages. I didn't know if they were as brutal as their father, or worse.

"Who could be as terrible as Leonardo Russo?" I mumbled into the pillow, genuinely asking myself the sad-but-true question.

I felt a cool breeze tickle my uncovered feet. I peeked over my pillow, anxiety pulsing through my veins. My conscious tried to reassure me that I was delirious from lack of sleep, but those thoughts stopped cold when I noticed my only bedroom window was flung open.

Taking in a shaky breath, I rolled out of my bed and started to search for something to defend myself.

"These are the times where having an illegal gun would come in handy," I hissed  under my breath. I was crouched by my dresser, inches away from the window.

I pleaded to the Heavens as I blindly picked through the dresser. Please, please, please, please—

I gripped a handle and immediately snatched the thing out of the drawer. I didn't have time to look at what I picked up; I just cared it was something that could be used as a weapon.

Thud, thud, thud!

I pinned myself against the wall, right next to the open window. I could hear a grunt, and all I could do was grip my weapon tighter.

Suddenly, a body tumbled from the window into my dark room. I could definitely make out a male figure.

"Oww," I could hear him hiss as he massaged the back of his head. "I've got to work on sneaking through windows."

Still shocked, I started to take a cautious step towards the sprawled-out boy. As I did so, though, I felt a crack! beneath me.

I bent down and nervously picked up the item. As soon as got a glimpse of the thing, I realized they were tortoiseshell glasses.

Very familiar tortoiseshell glasses, at that.

Caught up in shock, I didn't realize the familiar guy who had just busted into my room storming over to me.

Forcefully yanking the glasses out of my hands, Jared exclaimed, "Look at my glasses—you cracked the lenses, see?" I jabbed a thumb towards a snaking crack in the left lens. "These are expensive, you know."

Getting over my surprise, I raised my weapon and stammered, "Y-you're..you're—"

"Capo Klienman, at your service," he proudly finished, grabbing my free hand and planting a gentle kiss on my white knuckles. "Though you can call me Jared."