Chapter 2

II

"Lieutenant Thrace", Laura Roslin said, but with her eyes locked on Commander Adama, "why didn't you tell me we had another attack force hidden in the freighters?"

"We, uh..."

Adama cut Starbuck off. "It was my decision", he said softly. "I routinely restrict tactical data to those who need to know. Old habits die hard."

The President glanced over at Starbuck with a small nod, letting her know that they were good with each other, then turned back to Adama. "So we still might pull this off?"

Kara remained silent, but in her stomach was doing six G's. C'mon, Lee, she prayed to herself, don't frack this up...

______________________________________________________________

"Uh, Galactica, Apollo. Mission Accomplished!"

Both the War Room and CIC erupted in loud shouts and cheers. In CIC, Colonel Tigh turned to the Commander, and they silently shook hands, no other emotion or reaction visible.

The War Room was a little different.

President Roslin was to Starbuck's right when Apollo's call came through. As the War Room erupted, so did Kara. "Woo! Yes!" Others where hugging and laughing, Kara looking around, needing to hug someone. Laura was bent over the display, her hand on her chest, laughing a sigh of relief.

Starbuck grabbed the President and took her into a happy hug, the President obviously surprised, but not denying the embrace.

"Sorry Madam President, I'm sorry", Starbuck said as she broke the embrace, but a brilliant smile on her face, her eyes shining proudly. She couldn't keep herself from laughing.

"No need to apologize", Roslin said, turning fully to Starbuck. "Thanks to you, we have enough fuel to last us a few years." Roslin's eyes were now shining proudly at the Lieutenant, understanding the significance of what had occurred-not only for their people, but for one Kara Thrace. She had reached, as Adama had said a few minutes ago, "The Big Leagues".

Laura turned Kara toward her, and took her into a much soft, gentler embrace, Kara closing her eyes, feeling a sense of contentment in Laura's arms that she could never remember feeling in her life. Laura for her part, couldn't keep the tears out of her eyes. "You remember I told you a while back we'd have to find time to split a bottle of booze?"

Kara broke the embrace, looking at Laura with a grin. "Uh, yeah, about that?"

"About that?" Laura laughed again herself. "I think a little later would be a perfect time to celebrate, don't you? You've earned it, Kara."

"Thank you, Madam President." Roslin shook her head, Kara understanding immediately. "Thank you, Laura." They hugged again. "You got a date."

No one thought twice seeing the two of them continue the embrace. They chalked it up to the satisfaction of the moment, and they were right. But for Laura and Kara, it cemented further a bond that had been growing between them.

____________________________________________________________

Later that evening on Colonial One, true to her word, Kara joined the President to go through a bottle of wine to celebrate their monumental victory in taking the Tylium mine from The Cylons. Mining operations were to begin the next morning.

There had been partying on Galactica, although being on constant war alert, a certain amount of the pilots weren't allowed more than a sip of alcohol, just in case the Toasters came calling. Commander Adama assured everyone that they'd have a chance to get shit-faced, which was met with loud cheers.