Love's Knife

As the thunder clouds darkened the sky, Radha hurried inside the deep forest.

Tall, wavering trees offered her shadow, hiding her from the world, as she rushed to meet her Shyama. I must hurry, Radha thought, my Kanhai is afraid of the dark and the thunder! I must be with him as soon as possible!

As she entered their secret little grove, she was met with Krishna's eager eyes which had lit up by simply hearing the sound of her anklets approaching. "What took you so long?" He complained, still smiling, "I didn't even go home, and look at the weather! It's almost as if Lord Indra has decided to punish me personally!" In that moment thunder rippled through the grove making the leaves of the trees shake fervently. Krishna leapt up and embraced Radha hiding his face.

Radha broke into peals of laughter, "Look at my good fortune! The sole refuge of the fourteen universes seeks shelter in my arms!" Krishna smiled back coyly, "The only other thing that strikes fear in the heart of Krishna is the deathly arrow of Radha's sharp words Priye!"

"You amuse me Krishna! Come on, the Lords have favoured us with rain. It will be an insult to them if we did not allow these cold droplets to drench us today!"

"How can I get drenched Radhe?" Krishna asked, worried, "Look at all this sandalwood Maa applied on my body! And my fine clothes too! What will I say to her when I go home?"

"Hmm," Radha pretended to think for a while, "You will tell her you wrestled with brother Rama!"

"You want me to lie to my mother?! Also Radhe, you know I catch a cold easily. How will I come see you if I fall sick?"

"If you fall sick then I'll come home to you. Then you will drink the bitter medicine, and I will laugh at you."

"Radhe! You wish for me to get sick, really? I love you with all my heart, and this is what I get in return?!"

Radha cupped his face in her lotus hands and smiled, "Who asked you to fall in love with me? I didn't hold a knife to your throat!"

Radha dragged Krishna out of the grove. They stood under the rumbling sky. Krishna said with a teasing smile, "I remember when I used to take you places, and you would make excuses. What made you so brash in your gait, Radhe?"

Radha cupped Krishna's sweet face in her lotus hand, "O Kanhai! What choice do I have but to be brave for my timid little Krishna!"

Krishna glared back at her playfully as he began to protest. His protest was cut short by Radha who bent down towards the lad by her feet, and touched his lips with a finger as she eagerly drank in the nectar that was his handsome face. The raindrops cascaded form the heaven, thanking their maker for the good fortune of drenching this couple that was so lost in each other.

---

Radha's mind traveled a couple years back. She found herself standing at the bank of Yamuna, balancing a heavy water-filled pot upon her head. Krishna stood before her, his herding-stick outstretched inches from the pot upon her head.

"Don't move!" Yelled Krishna, "Or I will break this pot for sure!"

Radha pleaded with him but to no avail.

"Why didn't you come to me yesterday?" He complained angrily. "I was waiting for you!"

"I'm sorry, Krishna, I was stuck at home. I cannot come any time you call me!" She was trembling all over. Krishna had already broken several of her pots this week. Her mother would not tolerate another!

"But why not?"

"Because I have a home and I am expected to be there!"

Radha shrieked as Krishna struck the pot in anger and it broke into a thousand pieces, drenching her.

"Why did you do that! Now what will I say to my mother?!" She cried, "I love you with my mind and my soul, and this is what I get in return?!"

"Well, you asked you to fall in love with me? I didn't hold a knife to your throat!" Krishna retorted.

Radha gasped, as Krishna chuckled.

---

Radha laughed as Krishna looked at her, sniffling and wiping his nose.

"You've chosen the path of love Shyama. You must also walk over the thorns!" She whispered, covering him with her uttariya, shielding him from the downpour.