Gold in Thundercloud

Radha and Krishna settled down on the ghat. The river carefully splashed past their feet. "So, " breaking the silence Krishna spoke with a smile, "How's marriage treating you?"

"Why, I hoped you would ask." She snapped at him. Pulling her close, Krishna said, "I know it's hard for you. But, the Radha I know, the one who came to see me today, is way too strong for these little barriers. Aren't you?" Radha shrugged. Krishna continued, "Now see I might have killed dozens of demons but I will never have the courage to give up as much as you did and for so long too!" Radha shook her head with a blossoming smile, "You'll never give up buttering me, will you?" "Not really, no!" Krishna grinned unabashedly.

---

When Radha returned to her home, she found her mother-in-law waiting for her by the door. Instead of the usual frown Jatila smiled and beckoned her inside. Pulling down the veil further she followed. Entering the inner sanctum of the house, she found a group of ladies sitting around. Kutila sat in a corner with her friends, gossiping. Suddenly Radha found herself led away from Jatila by two veiled women. Looking back, she found Jatila smiling indulgently. Sighing in relief, she let the women direct her towards Kutila's room.

Seating Radha on the bed, the women quickly bolted the door and lowered the shades on the window. Securing the room thus, they finally lifted their veils and Radha gasped in surprize. One of them was her best friend Lalita. With her, was Radha's cousin Chandravali. With the initial shock wearing off, Radha smiled and embraced them both. Radha asked how they both managed to enter. This house did not encourage young brides having friends over. Radha soon learned that both of them were married off shortly after herself. Luckily, their mothers-in-law were friends and hence the visit.

"How's the adulteress doing?" Lalita asked teasingly. "Shame on you!" Radha scolded her, "It sounds so much worse when you put it like that!" Lalita giggled. Chandravali looked bemused, "But why do you do that? Aren't you afraid of going to hell?" "I was at first, but I am over it now." Radha looked down coyly. Chandravali said, "I can't believe the pious little Radha would fall so much!" Radha felt a current of fear, she clasped both of the hands of Chandravali and pleaded with her to keep it a secret. Chandravali smirked, "I won't tell but only on one condition. I want to see the man who made you stoop so low!" Radha glared but with an encouraging smile. She could see something else...Radha saw before her eyes, the young girl of about fourteen. She ran across a paddy field followed closely by around eight other girls of about the same age.

"All hail our Radha rani!" One said.

"All eyes to the unearthly lock of cloudy hair!" Said another.

"Has anyone ever seen such a golden complexion?!"

"Is there anything redder than the lotus of her palms and soles?!"

"Vidhata, the creator, himself must have fallen in awe of his skills when he created our Radha, which is why she has no companions in beauty!"

" Yes! Vidhata must have been so shocked at his own prowess that he also forgot to limit her good qualities!"

Amidst the pleasing chatter, the girls had almost reached the river bank. The place was almost empty except for a few cowherds running after their animals. Radha stopped her friends, and whispered to them, "Have you seen those boys before?" Chitra, the most informed of them promptly said, "These are the boys from Vrindavan! Don't you remember, they moved into the village just a few days back." Lowering her voice further, she continued, "I've heard their leader is very handsome! Won't you grant him one glance of your beauty?" Vishakha nodded enthusiastically. "Oh no, my father is respected man. I cannot look at a boy! You know me!" Said Radha. "Please let's go see him at least." Rangadevi batted her eyelids at Radha. Giving in, Radha sent Champaklata to judge the boys first. She was a renowned debater. Surely she would make it favourable for the entrance of the princess of Barsana.

Radha waited with her friends at a distance as Champaklata jogged off towards the boys. In spite of herself, Radha kept stealing glances over the bushes. "I don't see anyone so special!" Suddenly, Radha shook her head, "Oh no, what are we doing here?! Aren't we well-bred unmarried girls?! Is it at all like us to stare at random boys in this way? Come on, let us leave!"

Just then, like the full moon from behind a cloud, came he.

Pitch dark in complexion and sweating head-to-toe, the boy was laughing rambunctiously at something. A lone peacock feather fluttered on his flowery crown. He raised his hand in their direction. He seemed to be pointing at them. Realizing he'd seen them, the girls all ran back. All of them, but Radha. She still stood at her place staring at the boy. "Who's staring now princess?" Lalita whispered into Radha's ear. Blushing furiously Radha managed, "No I'm not!"

The next morning, at their bathing ghat, the girls cornered Radha. They had all heard of her trance the previous day. Some teased her about not being true to her word, and some lectured on waiting before falling in love. Radha vehemently denied all of it. Only Chitra gave her an understanding nod.

Later that day, as they were returning from the village temple, Chitra pulled her aside and said, "Radhe, I'm well-versed in the science of the future. Trust me, he will come to you!" Shrugging it off, Radha said, "I too think he will- the way he stared at me! But you'd think a good man would have some shame! Staring like that at a well-bred woman!" Ignoring the rest, Chitra trudged on, "Oh but you'll have to put in some effort too!" "No way! What will my parents say if they knew I'm even listening to such an advice?! Oh Chitra, you just keep me away from that boy! I want to keep up my honour forever, and being around him just seems to mess with my mind!" Chitra smiled and nodded, but in her mind, she had a different plan.