Chapter Ten

The next morning, Hank woke up to his face covered in St. Bernard salvia as Sumo drooled over him. After commenting how disgusting it was, he gently scooted out from beneath the dog's gigantic frame, he stumbled down the hall intent on making himself a fresh pot of coffee. He was vaguely aware that Connor had stayed the night, buy where the troublesome android was lurking, he couldn't guess.

"Good morning, Lieutenant." Connor greeted him quietly as if reading his partner's mind. Hank spun around, looking for the source of the sound. That's when he saw you sleeping in the android's lap, his coat draped protectively around you.

"Jesus Connor! Why didn't you make her go to bed last night?" Hank groaned.

"She was tired but insisted that she wasn't ready for bed yet." Connor explained, still talking in a hushed tone. "We read the rest of her play and then she asked for a movie..."

"Let me guess, Romeo and Juliet." Your father rolled his eyes at how predictable you were. "Why didn't you put her in bed after she fell asleep?"

"I was afraid I would wake her up." Connor told him. "She looked so comfortable." He looked down at you peacefully snoozing, unaware of the conversation. "I didn't want to disturb her."

"Huh." Hank chuckled. "When her and Cole would fall asleep like that, it always made my leg fall asleep but I didn't move. I was too afraid to wake them. My ex-wife used to say I was an idiot for suffering through it for them. Be glad you don't have to worry about your leg falling asleep." The Lieutenant turned his attention to the kitchen where he was going to finally make his coffee. He swore he heard the android add a final word on the matter to himself.

"I'd do anything for [Y/N]. Even if it meant having a tired leg." Connor waited until Hank's back was to him before brining a hand to your head. He gently brushed his fingers through your hair like he'd done sporadically throughout the night. You seemed to enjoy it, because even in your sleep it made you smile. Hank's cellphone began to ring shortly after that, breaking the peaceful morning for everyone and stirring you awake.

"Oh, Connor!" You remarked as you rubbed the sleep from your eyes. "I'm sorry, was I sleeping with my head in your lap the whole night?" You apologized, sitting up. "You should have said something."

"It was not an inconvenience, [Y/N]." Connor assured you. "It's a cold morning, you should keep that." He insisted as you offered him his jacket back. You weren't about to argue, remembering how comfortable the garment was. Instead you slipped your arms into the sleeves and zipped it most of the way up.

"That was, Fowler." Your father explained, ending his phone call. "He's set up an appointment for us to meet with the guy who created Cyberlife. Uh...Elijah Kamski?" He read the name off a post-it note he'd written. "Connor and I have to get going. You gonna be okay going back to work today?"

"No work today." You shook your head. "The schools are closed until the android situation is under control. I guess I'll see you when you guys come back."

"[Y/N] could come with us, couldn't she Lieutenant?" Connor asked quickly.

"We're not going to be gone that long, and she'd had to wait in the car when we get there." Your father frowned.

"I'm not a dog you guys." You laughed. "I'll be okay being home alone. Besides I'll have Sumo and Dad's dusty old paper books to keep me company."

"Why don't you just come with us?" Hank suggested. "It's a long ride to this guy's place. And having you around will liven up the car conversation....Are you wearing his jacket?" He squinted at you with sudden realization.

"It's not like I stole it." You said defensively. "Besides, it's comfortable as hell." You got up from the couch and walked off towards your room to change.

"Well, you'd better give it back to him!" Your father called after you. "I'm told he's worth a small fortune."

"It's alright Lieutenant, she can keep it." Connor decided. "I will inform Cyberlife that I lost my jacket in the line of duty. They will issue me another one."

"Well she can't wear it outside!" Hank disagreed. " people will get her confused with one of you. They'll think that she's an Android."

"I find the possibility of that situation highly unlikely." Connor disagreed.

"No one is going to think I'm an Android." You added, walking down the hall towards them. "Are you going to put pants on, or were you planning on meeting the founder of Cyberlife in your boxers?"

"Remind me again why I let you move back in here?" Your father grumbled.