Chapter Twenty-Three

There wasn't much traffic as you drove your car from your Dad's house towards downtown Detroit where you knew Connor would still be. All the humans in the city had either fled when given the chance or were still locked down in their homes. The first roadblock you came to was in the heart of downtown. There was a line of PC 200 models standing in the middle of the road. These were a special model, designed for the police. You'd seen them around the station before when visiting Hank. As you neared the line of androids, one approached your stopped car and asked for you to roll down the window.

"This area of the city is android territory now, Ma'am." He told you politely. "Please turn around and go back the way you came."

"No it's alright, I'm here for Connor." You explained. "He's expecting me. If you could just check with Marcus or..."

"I'm sorry ma'am I can't do that." The android, still in his police uniform, shook his head. "My orders are to prevent any and all humans from crossing into this part of the city."

"Listen you were a cop android, right?" You asked. "You have access to the DPD database. You can easily confirm that I'm [Y/N] Anderson. I'm looking for Connor, he's an RK800..."

"Is everything alright over there?" You heard a woman's voice call out over the cold winter wind. You and the police android looked over to see a female android approaching from the other side of the barricade. When she was close enough for you to see her face, you recognized the woman as one of the androids from Marcus' inner circle.

"Oh, It's you." She said, also recognizing you. "You'll have to leave your car here. There's no room for you to drive in here."

"Ah okay." So, you steered your car off to the side of the road and parked it out of the way.

"I'm North." She introduced herself when you stepped out of the car. "We met before..."

"At Jericho." You nodded. "I remember. I'm [Y/N]."

"I can take you to where Connor is. Follow me." North lead the way through the line of PC 200s and the structural barricade that separated the rest of the city from Downtown. She waved you inside the nearest Cyberlife store not too far from the barricade. There Marcus and Connor were talking strategy with a few other key members of the uprising.

"[Y/N]." Marcus addressed you with a nod.

"Kara and her family arrived safely." You promised. "They're with my dad now, celebrating a I think."

"I'm glad to hear it." Marcus smiled before looking at Connor. "You should go home and celebrate too. We can talk more tomorrow."

"I'll be in touch." Connor agreed. "[Y/N], would you join me for a walk?" He held out a hand for you to take.

"Sure Connor." You intertwined your fingers with his and together you left the Cyberlife store. Once you were out of view from the others, you pulled Connor close to you and held him in a tight hug.

"I'm so glad that you're alright." You breathed. "I was really worried about you." You placed your head in his chest, and Connor kept his arms around you.

"I was worried about you too, [Y/N]." He confessed. Large flakes of snow began to pile up on his jacket and in his hair. He didn't seem to mind as he continued talking to you. "Having emotions is...confusing." He sighed. "I've always been able to process a lot a things at once but emotions are different. They're not like processing information, in fact, I often find them irrational. It's going to take time for more to understand them all."

"That's okay." You promised. "Even humans don't exactly understand all their emotions, but you know Dad and I will always be there to help you. You're part of the family, Connor."

"That's actually what I wanted to talk to you about." Connor announced. He stopped walking so that he could look at you. His expression was very serious. "I understand that it would have been customary to speak with Lieutenant Anderson first, but I think given the circumstances he will understand. I'm not sure about a lot of things, [Y/N]. But I do know that Lieutenant Anderson, Sumo and you are family to me. I know that I don't want to live a life that doesn't include the three of you in it and I know that I love you, [Y/N]. My bounty is as boundless as the sea. My love as deep. The more I give to thee, the more I have for both are infinite."

"Romeo and Juliet again." You smiled. You then felt him remove his arms from your sides. Connor took a step back.

"I'm sorry for not being better prepared." He apologized as he crouched down, letting one knee sink into the snow. Only then did it down on you what was happening. Connor had mentioned asking your father's permission, and now he was down on one knee, shrugging his jacket off. "I don't even have a ring to offer you. [Y/N] Anderson, will you accept this jacket as a token of my love? Will you marry me?"

"Connor, are you proposing to me with your Cyberlife jacket?" You giggled.

"Yes?" He replied uncertainly. "Just until I can buy you a ring. Will you accept this engagement jacket?"