Chapter Eleven

"Jeez, I'm glad Connor gave me this jacket." You shivered in the back seat of your father's beat up old car. "It's freezing up here."

"Don't you have plenty of your own coats?" Your father hissed.

"Sure, but this one's better." You zipped up the jacket a little bit more to further drive home your point. "You could just get a car with functional heat you know."

"Connor doesn't mind that there's no heat. Do you?" He cast a brief glance in the andriod's direction before looking back at the road. The car was almost at the end of Kamski's snow-covered driveway.

"While I am not affected by temperature changes in my environment, I can certainly understand how the lack of a functional heating system would be uncomfortable for [Y/N]." Connor replied.

"I should have known it was only a matter of time before you two started to gang up on me." Hank sighed. "We're here. Leave the coat in the car will ya?"

"Absolutely not!" You argued immediately. "What if this guy is as cheap as you and doesn't have his heat on?"

"Will you just get out of the car then?" He snapped in frustration.

You and Connor followed your father up to Kamski's front door. Hank rang the doorbell and a blonde android answered. Introductions were made to the android did not question why you, a civilian, was along with two police personnel. Instead she greeted everyone warmly and ushered you all inside. After a brief wait, you were escorted into the next room. Kamski was swimming in a lap pool, joined by two more identical blonde androids.

"Guess androids haven't been a bad thing for everybody." Your father said, only loud enough for you and Connor to hear.

"Who gets blood red pool tiles?" You added just as quietly. Kamski padded his way over to a ladder and climbed out of the pool.

"What can I do for you and your partners, Lieutenant?" He asked while one of the blonde androids offered him a robe. Now it was clear to you why no one had questioned your presence. They all assumed that you were an android just like Connor. Your father had been right after all. All it took to be mistaken for an android was something as insignificant as a jacket.

"Sir, we're investigating deviants." Your father played into the ruse because it seemed easier than explaining himself. "I know you left Cyberlife years ago, but I was hoping you'd be able to tell us something we don't know."

"Deviants." Kamski repeated. "Fascinating, aren't they? Perfect beings with infinite intelligence and now they have free will. Machines are so superior to us, confrontation was inevitable. Humanity's greatest achievement threatens to be its downfall. Isn't it Ironic?"

"We need to understand how the androids become deviants." Connor clarified. You could tell from his expression that he was not amused by Kamski's reveling. "Do you know anything that could help us?"

"All ideas are virus that spread like epidemics. Is the desire to be free a contagious disease?" Kamski asked.

"Listen, I didn't come here to talk philosophy." Hank interjected impatiently. "The machines you created may be planning a revolution. Either you can tell us something that'll be helpful, or we will be on our way." Kamski scanned all three of your faces before setting his attention on Connor.

"What about you, Connor?" He pried, stepping towards him. "Who's side are you on?"

"It's not about me, Mr. Kamski." Connor replied defensively. "All I want is to solve this case."

"Well, that's what you're programed to say." Kamski chuckled. "But you. What do you really want?" You exchanged a glance with your father. As much as Kamski's badgering was making you uncomfortable, you were still curious how Connor would respond.