Off to Gurukul

"No!" Kaikeyi began to bawl, holding tightly onto Bharat, while Kaushalya looked stricken, and Sumitra about to faint. "You can't snatch our children away like this! They're meant to grow up in the palace! With us." Dasharath sighed sadly. He should have expected devastation among the queens.

"Rani Kaikeyi, we have to send them to Gurukul. They will learn things they can't here. Life lessons, you must understand." He tried to explain, but the queen shook her head frantically, and tightened her hold on Bharat. Sumitra was clutching onto the twins for support, and Kaushalya was hugging Ram as if never to let go.

"We must. I am sorry. Let the children go, enjoy their last day in the palace. Then Guru Vashishta will take him to Guru Vishwamitra's hermitage, where they will stay for 6 years." Kaikeyi's sobs became even louder, and Ram came up to her, wiping away her tears.

"It's okay, Maa Kaikeyi. We will be back soon. 6 years isn't a lot once you think about all we will be learning. And once we come back, you can spend the rest of your life with us. Do not cry." he consoled, before walking away.

Bharat hugged his mother quickly before following, but the twins didn't leave quite yet, as their mother still was holding onto them for support.

"Um, Maa?" Shatrughan grunted. "Let go please?" She plopped down into a chair, and smiled weakly, excusing the twins to leave, and they also ran off.

After walking out, Ram turned to the brothers. "We expected this. All princes have to learn at some point. Our parents might be sad, and it is our duty to comfort them. However, let's just enjoy our last day in the palace for now." He headed off towards the temple, Bharat towards the garden, Lakshman for the weaponry unit, and Shatrughan for the kitchens.

All of them felt devastated, but accepting, although Shatrughan was planning a big goodbye for himself while eating a large sweet called a ladoo given to him by the chef.

That evening, Sumitra insisted that they all pack together, and so the queens stared lovingly at them as they each gathered a few things. No quarreling, except between Lakshman and Shatrughan, ever stubborn.

"Shatrughan, that dagger is mine!" Lakshman cried, snatching it from his brother. Shatrughan narrowed his eyes.

"Well that gold necklace is mine as well!" Lakshman rolled his eyes. By this time, they had caught the attention of everyone in the courtyard, as they turned to look amusedly at the pair of bantering brothers.

"Yeah, and that anklet you've been wearing since we were toddlers? You stole it from me. Little thief." Shatrughan looked offended, and pointed towards the pair of shoes Lakshman was wearing.

"Well, those are ours. Ours to share. Which means neither of us can wear them at the same time!" Shatrughan cried, and they turned towards the queens and king in one movement.

"Why do people who give us gifts always give them to both of us?" Lakshman asked, pointing between him and Shatrughan. "We never get our own, everything is for us to share!" He looked at Shatrughan's large pack as well.

"Shatrughan, you don't need gold when we go to Gurukul," he pulled out all the jewelry and coins. "Neither do you need toys, I thought you outgrew these!" Out went the toys. "And, Shatru! No sweets!" Out came the dozens of ladoos which had been stuffed into the pack. Shatrughan wheedled, protested, cried crocodile tears, but all of the unnecessary things were out, and his traveling pack was much lighter, and amid the laughter, Shatrughan scowled.

"God, I'll miss Ram. He was ever nice, and the subjects loved him. And Bharat, painting everywhere. Laksh and Shatru, always fighting or cooperating, and for some reason, I never want the latter to happen." Kaushalya shook her head good-naturedly, and hugged Kaikeyi. Sumitra beamed at the princes, and Dasharath, although heavily saddened, allowed himself a small smile.