Stories on the Shores

They continued to walk, for what, it seemed like, forever. Finally, they climbed down the cliff, and congregated on the beach that was at the very tip of the mainland. There were so many monkeys and bears there, that let's just say, if a vulture was there, he would die from happiness. Hanuman continued to walk, but they came to a halt in front of the shores. Ram walked forward, eyes squinting in the sun as he watched the distance.

"I do believe that I can see Lanka." he said calmly. Hanuman and Jambavan exchanged a look. "A golden Lanka, palaces and columns and centers made just from gold. Ravan is truly a grand king, if anything, but grandness does not substitute for unrighteousness." Ram looked around. "Come on. We'll set up camp here if it's no trouble to you, Raja Sugriv. There is some shade here, as well as a place to work, and there also seems to be some food in the forests nearby, right?"

Ram set his bow down and Lakshman brought him a palm leaf to sit upon. Raja Sugriv cleared his throat and began to order his army around. "Alright! We're setting a camp up here for the next few days, you all got that? We'll have a watch guard here for every second that we stay. Ravan is a dangerous demon, and we can not be safe enough." Hanuman and Angad both nodded and got ready setting up the legions of monkeys and bears to camp out.

----O----

Meanwhile, Lakshman helped Angad get "settled." By settling, Angad had meant to carry his bags, which Lakshman had done. "Ugh." he set down the last of the luggage. "When you said settling in, I didn't think you would mean this. I thought you just meant find a cave and get you a palm leaf and then I could go off." Lakshman sighed and sat down, wiping a bead of sweat off of his face. "I sometimes worry for bhaiyya. He seems so lost. And quite alone. I know why, but I don't know how to help. Have you ever felt such a way?"

"Only once." Angad stated. "When Papa died. But never before and never again. I don't really believe there is a way to cure it, other than knowing what happened was for a reason. Until Prabhu Shri Ram thinks that there was a definite good reason that Maa Sita was captured, he won't feel much better." He paused. "But truly, is there a reason to capture a woman from her own cottage? I don't think so." Angad turned towards Lakshman. "You're awfully quiet. Have you ever felt such a way?"

Lakshman shook his head. "Never. But I've always had a purpose in life, something to do desperately and quickly. I've never really had any time to feel something so deep and spiraling as alone, helpless, or particularly lost. I've always known what to do next myself, and that is serving my brother." Lakshman shook his head. "Come on, what has happened to us, talking about feelings!" Both of them snorted in unison.

"Yes, it is very unusual." Angad agreed. "Ah well. I'd better continue ordering the army, and perhaps you should go and help your brother." Lakshman nodded and left the cave.

-----O----

Evening fell and the night took over the day. A small fire was lit, and Ram ate in front of it, but his eyes hooked onto his younger brother's form as he sat hunched over his food. "What's wrong, Lakshman?" he asked confusedly, and Lakshman looked up, opening and closing his mouth like a puffer fish. "Something is troubling you, your food is left untouched. You normally love eating, don't you? Go on, eat something, your food will get cold. And while you're at it, tell me. What's on your mind?"

"Nothing-nothing bhaiyya." Ram raised his eyebrows. "Well alright. Bhaiyya, when you were telling the stories, Hanuman mentioned Urmila. Hanuman asked who she was, with great curiosity too." Ram winced and nodded. So that must be it. After days upon days, his brother must have been reminded of his own wife. "Don't worry, I wasn't hurt or anything. I'm fine but...." Lakshman trailed off. "Could you not mention her to the rest of the vanar sena, bhaiyya, if you do tell your stories again?"