00.1 - Endings

TW: implied self-harm & domestic abuse (brief)

***

 Izuku isn't stupid

Izuku isn't stupid.

On the contrary to the absolute bullshit his class had been going on about him, Izuku was incredibly intelligent, diligent, observant and analytical. He's good with body language, he's good with facial expression. He sees the hesitant gaze of Todoroki's untrustworthy eyes despite his stoic expressions. He notices the subtle shift in the air when Katsuki is about to have another bitch fit. He picks up on the way Kaminari flinches at random moments, a side effect of having too much electricity pulsing his nerves.

Izuku isn't stupid. He isn't dense.

He notices when his 'friends' look at him with shifty eyes and tensed smiles. False enthusiasm and disdainful greetings. He says nothing because saying something is admitting that something is wrong and Izuku doesn't want that. He tenses when walking down corridors and pretends not to hear the not-so-quiet whispers that follow his steps.

It's worse because he knows when it started. So maybe, Izuku really is fucking stupid.

Because he doesn't even like Katsuki so what the actual fuck did he get himself into when he said yes. It was a half-assed confession fueled more by the thought of 'I can date Deku' rather than 'I want to date Deku'. Izuku barely remembers the actual confession. He just remembers flinching at the sound of explosions, dissociating, living in that god awful headspace that reminded him of breathing without oxygen, and then voices were congratulating him on his new relationship.

And he was way too fucking afraid to take it back.

Suddenly the kind eyes that were once sent his way turned icy. Warm smiles were cold. Invites turned to excuses and pleas of help once answered were now ignored. He doesn't know why, he's afraid to know why, and it hurts so bad because he feels like he's back in middle school, hands pinned to his sides and incapable of shit. But Izuku is a hero, Izuku wants to be a hero. So he puts on a smile, hides the bruises on his wrists and walks.

But anyone, anyone can only take so much before they're bound to snap.

"Fuck my shitty life," Izuku groans into his pillow one morning, slamming his hand down of his alarm clock. It was way too fucking early to start another confusing, shitty day. But Izuku doesn't want to run into anyone because he swears if he sees one more goddamned fake smile he'll knock someone's teeth in.

His annoyance only furthers when his phone begins to ring as he pulled on a pair of pants.

Who the fuck is calling me at 4:30 in the goddamned morning!?

He scowls when the letters 'All Might' blink back at him. All Might's unique features have slowly been twisting into one of those scathing looks he used to receive from his middle school teachers back when he would cry about Katsuki's bullying. A stomach-churning mix of disbelief, pity and disappointment.