Chapter 18: "The Banquet"

Suddenly, an iron slot in the door shifted open and a pair of amber eyes stared back at you and Gaster.

"Identity yourselves!" The monster's deep voice boomed.

"Dr. W.D. Gaster and Miss (Y/N)." Gaster replied calmly.

The creature narrowed its eyes, leaning up and sticking its nose partially through the opened slot. It started sniffing, then leaned back.

"Go on, what's the code word then?" He challenged.

Gaster just rolled his pinpricks, then shook his skull. "It's clear I didn't get the memo about this new 'code word'."

"Too bad, then! You are not allowed in without the secret code word." He growled, then shut the slot swiftly.

Gaster frustratedly knocked on the door thrice. "Ernest, you know fair and well who I am. Just let us in."

The slot snatched open again. "What was that? I didn't hear the code word."

Gaster groaned, then shook his head. "Just get m'lord. He knows that we were expected for dinner tonight."

"That is not the—"

"Ah, to hell with you! Asgore, my lord. Will you please free me from this dimwit?" Gaster suddenly called loudly.

A sudden pause occurred, and loud footsteps got nearer and nearer to the door as faint talking could be heard. But, it was just quiet enough to be unintelligible.

Suddenly, the door snatched open and behind it stood a tall, wolf monster. It had been his amber eyes that had stared at you.

"Come hither, you're nearly late." He spoke flatly.

"I wonder why that is." Gaster replied sarcastically, then beckoned for you to walk first.

You nodded, then smiled weakly as you started walking. Gaster was not far behind though, and pretty soon he had caught up with you.

And, that's when he placed his arm in front of you. "The king lies ahead. We must bow." He whispered, then moved his arm as he respectfully bowed.

Not sure what to do since you were wearing a heavy gown, you just grabbed the sides of your dress and did a curtsy that was mixed with a bow. It probably looked strange, but the sentiment was still there.

"Good evening! Come, come. We have prepared you your places." Asgore suddenly spoke as he turned to look at you and Gaster.

"Thank you, sire." Gaster stood up straight, then smiled as he linked his arm with yours.

Surprised at the sudden touch, you felt your cheeks heat up. Surely this isn't more of what Elementia hinted at, right? He's most likely just being chivalrous.

"I am very sorry for the trouble that Ernest has caused you. I will be sure to have a word with him this evening." Asgore spoke as Gaster unlinked arms with you and pulled out your seat. Gesturing for you to sit, you did so carefully and looked at Asgore as Gaster gently pushed your seat in.

"That is alright. It was merely a temporary inconvenience. Do not worry about it, sire." He dipped his head, then sat down in his chair, scooting himself in.

"Alright, Dr. Gaster. But you do always say that. You know you can tell me of any inconveniences and I will try my best to sort them out. That is my job, after all." Asgore replied.

"Well, thank you very much, m'lord." Gaster dipped his head again and you looked over to see Lady Toriel glancing at you.

"So, Asgore has told me a lot about the situation that led to you staying here. How are you enjoying it, Lady (Y/N)?" She asked with a gentle smile.