Chapter 15: "The King's Men"

With the sound of someone thumbing through a book, you suddenly woke up. But, immediately something wasn't right. Your head hurt, muscles ached, and you winced at the light of the bright candles in the room. In discomfort, you let out a groan and slowly and uncomfortably sat up.

What had happened last night? Did Gaster do this? Or, is your sickness relapsing?

You rubbed your head with worry, squinting your eyes as you peeked over to check on Gaster. He was peacefully sitting in his chair with his spectacles on, an old brown book sitting in his lap. And, after a few moments, he glanced up at you over his glasses.

"Good morning, (Y\N). Sleep well?" He asked, and you racked your brain to give him an answer. "I-I think I slept fine, but I feel awful." You suddenly placed your hand over your lips as a wave of nausea hit you.

"Symptoms?" He asked calmly, taking off his glasses and placing them, and the big book down on the table beside him. "My head is pounding, I feel like I am going to vomit, and everything hurts..." You spoke, still massaging you aching head. "Ah, you must be dealing with crapulence." He replied, standing up and walking to a cabinet in the corner.

"Crapulence? I drank last night?" You asked, surprised. At least, until some memories from last night began to scatter their way into your brain. And, Gaster just nodded his head. "More than you could handle, as well." He added which made your face flush pink.

"In that case, I'm sorry... I hope I didn't do anything too vile." You spoke, shutting your eyes for a moment. "No, you didn't do anything too vile. But, you certainly were not yourself." He responded, then you heard the scuffing of his shoes against the floor as he turned to walk over. You opened your (e\c) eyes hesitantly and watched as he approached.

"Well, I'm glad nothing too bad happened..." You looked down, then up again as he held out his hand to you. Held within it was a small glass bottle filled with a cloudy teal liquid.

"What the hell is that?" You asked and he chuckled. "Something to make you feel better. You can drink it, then eat your breakfast. It should be here soon." He spoke and you frowned. "I don't think I can keep anything down." You remarked and he took your hand, placing the bottle in it and wrapping your fingers around it. "Trust me, you won't be worrying about that in a few minutes."

You looked at him suspiciously, but after not seeing any ill will lying in his gaze, you nodded your head. You sighed, then popped the small cork out of it. And, after a few moments of hesitation, you brought the bottle to your lips and drank it down. Surprisingly, it didn't taste unpleasant. Rather like a faint mint mixed with other herbs.

After finishing it, you handed the bottle back to him. "There you are, hopefully it does work like it should." Gaster commented and you lifted an eyebrow. "You don't know for certain?" You asked and he laughed. "Of course not. You never know anything for certain in my field."

Well, that was reassuring. But, indeed after only a couple of minutes, the pain and discomfort began to subside. So, you stretched happily with a yawn. "Thank you, Gaster." You thanked him. Due to him being busy digging through an old trunk, all you got was a simple "Mmhm." in response.

Curiously, you watched him as you sat on the cot. After all, you have nothing better to do. He seemed to dig around forever, until he finally pulled out a small pile of clothing. "This is long overdue, and I will try my best to find more suitable garments soon, but in the meantime, here's some clothes to wear."

You furrowed your eyebrows and hopped down from the cot, walking over and taking the pile. "Are you sure? That's really kind of you." You responded and he nodded his head. "I am aware of your affinity for masculine clothing, so I decided to let you wear some things from when I was younger." Gaster responded.