Chapter 19: "A Shared Camaraderie"

After the events of last night, you and Gaster had just relaxed and talked over dessert. And, once you were drowsy enough, you took your new blanket and fell asleep in his cot.

At least, until you suddenly shot up from the cot, chest rapidly rising and falling with your quick breaths.

You looked around the room and spotted Gaster lounging in his chair reading a book with the dim light of a purple-flamed candle. Of course, this has become a common occurrence. Gaster always wakes before you and takes to his studies before breakfast.

But as soon as Gaster heard your quickened breaths, he peered up from his book, snapped his fingers and all the candles in the room ignited.

"Is everything alright?" He asked, looking slightly concerned as he set his book aside and stood up.

"Y-yeah. No worries." You shook your head.

"I believe it was just a nightmare." You sighed, then gave him a weak smile as he walked over.

"Well, you know I'm more than happy to listen if you want to talk about it." Gaster dipped his head gently and you smiled a bit brighter.

"Well, I just remember something about the humans trying to hurt me. I believe it was because they saw me as a traitor. And, to be fair, I suppose that is true." You replied and Gaster sat next to you on his bed.

"Perhaps in the humans minds, yes. But not in mine." He spoke softly and you looked down.

"And, I want you to know that I would never allow the humans to hurt you. They would not lay a finger on you without going through me first." He spoke, then crossed his arms.

"No, Gaster. You have no reason to do that." You dipped your head, then looked to the floor.

"You have your entire future ahead of you. As for me, I'm 20 years old and am already an outlaw." You sighed.

"Once again, perhaps the humans view you that way. But to us monsters, you're simply family." Gaster smiled.

You couldn't help but let out a snort in response, "Half of your peers hate me, come on. I am not family to your people. The correct word would be 'ally'."

"Perhaps they do, but I believe they just lack understanding. Quite like I did at first, dear." He sighed, then stood back up, turning to face you.

"Maybe so." You clicked your tongue, then played with your hair silently.

"Well, is there anything I can do for you?" Gaster suddenly asked, shifting his weight onto one hip.

You bit your lip, then looked to him. "I am still quite tired, would you mind telling me a story?"

"What kind of story?" He asked calmly.

"A true story from your past. That is, if you're willing to share any of those." You asked, peering up at him.

"No, no that's completely fine. I have plenty of memories to share." He spoke as you pat he cot beside you, scooting over.

He smiled, then sat beside you again as he tapped his chin.

"Mmmm, I think I've got one." He spoke, then looked off to the side.

"When I was younger, my father would tell me of his time in the North. We were not an affluent family, but long before I was born, my father would travel. He told me of the sea, and all about the riptides and currents." He began.

"The beaches were pristine and the water was as blue as the morning sky, but amongst the beauty of the sea, he saw the most beautiful thing he'd even seen."