Chapter 6: Of Secrets and Tests

So I didn't do this for my previous works but now I've started trying my hand at it, I'm super excited.

I'll be doing aesthetics for my main main characters only then add more as we go on.

Enjoy your chappie.

"Ugh!" Joana groaned as she dressed for the day.

It seemed her ego pricking had done naught but driven the General to work them harder in an attempt to make her quit of her own accord.

Initially she hadn't seen through his plan but his smirk when she had dropped the buckets of water he had made them lift to jog up the steepest hill face few minutes in.

Truthfully Joana knew she'd be shit at wrestling or sword play but in archery, she could hold her own. All her hope had bordered on not being the worst at camp and so far it turned out she was ranking among the bottom few.

So far a week had passed and the final assessments were to hold soon but she wasn't the only one in a shitty mood that morning.

All the new recruits had gathered outside on the command of the King and she noticed she was not the only sweaty palmed newbie.

Why would he go through the trouble of recruiting people from all over Myonmar only to send them home?

Her eyes met that of Sir Ian's that was already sending a warning her way, his words from the forest evident in his gaze.

"I'd suggest you fail out during this first assessment." He had stated once she couldn't keep up her lies, "Or I would have to report you to the King. Trust me, he's not in a very forgiving mood."

"Fuck." She whispered forcing her fingers into a tighter fist.

How could he recognize me so easily?

"You!" A voice yelled breaking her out of her trance.

She looked up to find the whole camp as well as the King and Sir Ian staring at her. Had she been asked a question?

"The King asked you a question recruit." A soldier beside her yelled, "Answer at once."

She looked to the King in confusion who just sighed and shook his head.

"Get to your stations at once. You'll know your results by the evening meal." He said walking back into his tent.

She tried to let out a sigh of relief when she caught the General's glare directed at her, one word evident on his face.

You'd better remember what I said.

Resisting the urge to visibly shudder, she ran to the first station where swordsmanship was being tested aiming to work her way up to archery.

She bit her scowl back when all the men laughed at her for being so easily disarmed by her opponent and walked head low to the next station for wrestling.

She was put against Evon, the traitor, who went easy on her and somehow she escaped with only a few punches to get gut.

She met the supervisors eye and knew that her chances of remaining in camp hung on an unraveling thin thread.

Archery was the only hope she had left if she wanted to stay in the camp.

The only way she could secure her spot was to put on a show so great that even the King himself would be impressed.

Luckily, they could pick their bows themselves in this new assessment and she didn't hesitate to go for the lighter bow.

Her target was set up at about 10 feet, a move she saw as rather insulting until she watched most of the men fail to hit the bullseye even from such a small distance.

When it was her turn, she noticed Sir Ian and the King walk out of his tent to observe.

Thank Heavens.

She didn't want to lose such a golden opportunity to stay at camp so when she let her first arrow fly, she smiled as it hit the first bullseye of the day.

Eyebrows were raised when her second arrow also hit the bullseye, raising even further when her third arrow pierced the first to still hit the bullseye.

Silence hung thick in the air followed by loud cheers and claps.

"For such a tiny man, your arm is pretty strong." Her supervisor commented coming to clap her on her back.

"I go hunting a lot with my father." He laughed uneasily.

"I see you went for the lightest bow, John." Sir Ian stated causing a fresh wave of uneasy silence to flow over the camp, "Can you achieve this feat with a standard military bow?"

He held one to her that she pretended to be unable to carry noting his smirk when she failed.

"Shoot." He commanded, "I'll even leave the target at this same distance just for you."

"If I hit the bulls eye once, will you promise to let me stay in camp?" She asked boldly, the secret meaning of her words clearly understood by only the two of them.

"If you're able to make the same scores as with your other bow then I'll let you stay in camp till the end."

Murmurs went around camp as everyone thought the wager unfair.

"Deal?" He asked smugly.

She sent him an unsure smile and shook his hand, smirking once she turned away from him.

She pretended to shake when she took her first arrow and gasps filled the air.

Were they...worried for her?

Huh.

She let her first arrow fly subduing the urge to scream in victorious laughter when it rang true earning a frown on Sir Ian's face and cheers from the recruits.

Her second arrow flew and pierced the first arrow and gasps replaced cheers.

"You know what General." She stated nocking her third arrow, "Never judge skill by appearances. For all you know, your worst enemy could be disguised as a lovely sheep."

Her third arrow went loose and pierced the first two arrows and not one sound could be heard as she bowed and dropped the bow.

She had acted rather confidently in front of them but now with her back turned, her hands shook in fear.

She turned back to see Sir Ian's frown darker than any she had seen on a man and resisted the urge to smirk on defiance.

"So what's your verdict, sir?"

Short chappie but with a lot of defiance and tension.

I look forward to your feedback.

Your favorite author,

Pearl🌹