Chapter 7: A Red Haired Spy?

When life gives you lemons,
Trade them for oranges...

Rowan resisted the urge to growl as he and Ian looked at the map of Myonmar once again with no clue as to where the bandits camp could be.

He had thought his frustration would ebb gradually with the training of this secret army but it seemed the veteran soldiers of his father's Special forces hadn't passed their skills on to their sons. The lads were a sore disappointment but he did well to hide it, comforting himself in the fact that none of his other advisors or councilmen knew what he was up to.

He had made sure to keep the other military leaders busy with training of the other soldiers from regular families taking care that only the young soldiers he had grown up with and had risen in ranks worthy of notice served the task of training the new Special forces.

The little amusement he found lately had been in his best friend's sudden interest in the red haired lad with a most remarkable entrance.

He had tried to relate the interest to his concern for the country as red hair was not a common occurrence in Myonmar but Suderia but their interactions had shown something of more personal interest than anything related to the greater good.

The lad himself was nothing remarkable, Rowan even thought him a bit daft and too scrawny a lad. He was always distracted and couldn't even lift a sword properly.

Rowan sighed as he felt the onslaught of a new wave of the aches that had plagued him the past week.

"You should rest Ro." Ian said pouring him wine in his long discarded cup, "I can oversee the assessment. You need only announce the results."

"How can I rest at a time like this?" He asked downing the cup and walking to stand in front of the tent just as Ian's red haired lad picked up the bow.

Ian stepped out a second behind him, a frown crossing his face as he stared at the small man.

They shared a look and Rowan swore they had a full on conversation with their eyes that the smaller man apparently won if the defiant lift of his nose was anything to go by.

He moved closer to the field to observe more closely. Such pride must have skill behind it or he wasn't sure he would hold his laughter.

Perhaps he might keep the boy around to entertain him no matter how horribly he failed.

Yes he would do...

His thoughts were interrupted as the lad made a perfect shot that had him raising a brow.

It seemed he was not the only one shocked by the sudden display of skill as brows were raised all around, a few mouths dropping open as she made two more true shots.

Heavy silence followed by equally deafening cheers and claps resounded so much so he worried they'd alert everyone in Myonmar of their presence but he couldn't deny he was impressed.

"For such a tiny man, your arm is pretty strong." His friend and Training Supervisor, Lyon, commented clapping the lad on his back.

"I go hunting a lot with my father." The boy laughed uneasily.

Rowan's eyes turned to his best friends face and back to the scene in front of him, smiling as he counted down from ten expecting an interruption from his friend.

3

2

1

"I see you went for the lightest bow, John." Ian stated causing a fresh wave of uneasy silence to flow over the camp, "Can you achieve this feat with a standard military bow?"

This should be interesting. Rowan thought hiding an amused smirk at his friends predictability.

He watched as Ian held one to the lad that he struggled to pull.

"Shoot." He commanded, "I'll even leave the target at this same distance just for you."

"If I hit the bulls eye once, will you promise to let me stay in camp?" The imp asked boldly.

His eyebrow raised even further at the audacity of the boy but he said nothing wanting to see Ian's reaction.

"If you're able to make the same scores as with your other bow then I'll let you stay in camp till the end."

Murmurs went around camp and Rowan sure wanted to protest along with them but he held his tongue.

Surely he didn't think the lad would make the shot?

"Deal?" Ian asked smugly.

The smaller sent him an unsure smile even though his bright blue eyes held a mischievous glint that was hard to miss.

What was this boy up to? He wondered even as he pretended to shake when he took his first arrow.

Gasps went all around as the whole camp watched. Perhaps they worried for their comrade.

He let his first arrow fly and stunned them all as his arrow made its mark.

Rowan wanted to watch the play of emotions that would be sure to roll over his friends features but he was too intrigued by the smaller man's obvious game that he wanted to see it to the end.

His second arrow flew and pierced the first arrow and gasps replaced cheers from the excited crowd.

Just who was this boy?

Sudden suspicion arose in him and perhaps it was time to look into his background to be sure he wasn't a spy.

"You know what General." He stated nocking his third arrow, "Never judge skill by appearances. For all you know, your worst enemy could be disguised as a lovely sheep."

Your worst enemy could be disguised as a lovely sheep? What was that supposed to mean! Was he revealing that he was indeed a spy?

Rowan frowned as his third arrow pierced the first two arrows.

Not one sound could be heard all around as everyone looked between him and Ian.

Rowan watched the boys defiant expression and suspected his next words before he even spoke.

"So what's your verdict, sir?"

Yes. It was indeed time to investigate this boys background.

He had watched his father die and had been helpless to stop it. If this boy was a spy, he'd be damned before he let him destroy his kingdom.

As they say, keep your friends close and your enemies even closer. He would give this boy his wish and if he indeed was exposed as a spy, Rowan looked forward to giving him a slow and painful death.

Now we meet our third main character.

Joana has unconsciously placed herself under suspicion.

Do you think Rowan will let her stay in camp after this display?

Don't forget to vote and comment.

Thank you.