prologue

Once, there was a girl who was beautiful and naive, believing that the life she was given was merely a blessing. Solely longing for the love and acceptance from her family, she thought her happiness could only be fulfilled if she worked harder for the love she dreamt of constantly. Perhaps she should have known better, but unfortunately she did not.

Her hands trembled as she started to write, her intentions of the letter making her feel weary. Seeing her painful words fill the parchment paper, Elaine could only sob quietly as her suicide letter came to an end.

This dishonorable act was fitting for Lady Elaine, who could no longer handle the chains her environment had provided her. Forced to play a role she no longer wished to entertain, it was only right to end her life now.

The idea of death scared Elaine, so much that there were several times where she almost changed her mind. Of course, as the rumors grew worse and the resentment her loved ones felt towards her heightened, death was now the only choice she could bear to deal with.

It took her only twenty two days to reach her decision, and one more day to prepare. Now that she was done writing her goodbyes, her next form of action was to get moving.

A few minutes later, a tea cup with water not yet ruined was placed in her hand. Biting her lip, Elaine took out the small bottle of poison she managed to sneak into her drawer not too long ago. Taking a deep breath, Elaine quickly poured the poison into the clear water before sitting down on her bed.

She truly had no one. The maids looked down on her due to her awful brother who loathed her existence, and her father who wished she never appeared before his eyes. Not even wanting to get started on her sister, who took it upon herself to make Elaine viewed as a monster in the public eye, Elaine felt as if her family preferred abandonment over care.

Her only hope had been her betrothed, who believed rumors before even attempting to investigate the truth.

Elaine suddenly laughed to herself, realizing how foolish she truly had been. To desire such love from people who could not care less what happened to her, it was awfully foolish indeed.

Perhaps her soon to be death was not because she was saddened by this revelation, but because she was tired and angry at the treatment she was given for years.

Tired of having to hear whispers of how cruel she was, even if she had never acted out of line nor blamed anyone for their cruel actions.

Tired of her brother and sister talking down to her, reminding her every day how worthless she truly was.

Tired of her father, who only ignored her pleas for help and turned a blind eye to her pain.

Most of all, she was tired of living a life that was clearly unfavorable towards her from the start, no matter how hard she tried to convince herself otherwise.

No longer afraid, Elaine brought the poison up to her lips, slowly drinking until there was nothing left but a girl who had only wanted love, until love had become her fatal flaw.