Chapter 5

It didn't take long for the two to fall back into silence, as there was not much more to talk about. Of course, Elaine found comfort in the silence while Roman could not stand it.

One who was not used to the quiet would never be able to bear the peace.

All of a sudden, footsteps were heard from behind Elaine. She turned around and met her brother's eyes, the look he gave her never unfamiliar.

To see someone look at her with kindness for once would mean the world was truly ending.

Elaine smiled and stood up, happy to find an excuse to leave. "Your highness, it seems someone would like to converse with you," she said before she bowed. "I shall take my leave."

Roman stared at her, a part of him not wanting her to leave just yet. He didn't know why, but he felt uneasy watching Elaine escape so easily.

"I forgot to mention, there will be a banquet in a few weeks." Roman suddenly remembered. "You will be attending beside me."

Elaine nodded, recalling how she went to the banquet in her past life. It was the night before she died after all.

She could still remember her lonesome self, completely isolated from everyone else. The idea that no one would care if she disappeared was never as true as it was at that time. Now, Elaine couldn't wait to go, believing a different outcome could exist.

As soon as Elaine got back to her room, she was at a loss of what to do. Usually she would read or practice her embroidery, but it didn't seem right to do that now.

She looked around her room, not thinking of anything in particular until it finally hit her. She could go outside! In the past, she rarely went out as people would ridicule her and find ways to make her outings miserable. Her maids would run away from her and she didn't have any other protection.

Elaine frowned. It was probably best to get a knight to protect her before leaving the manor. She could still remember that one time before her death, when she was out there alone and met danger in the shape of a man. Her screams for help were still fresh in her mind.

Elaine shook her head, not wanting to think about that. At that time, if there was a knight beside her, she wouldn't of ended up in front of the gates with her dress in shreds.

The bitter reminder that she only had herself was always there in the back of her mind. It would never go away. Therefore, Elaine was in need of a knight who would serve her.

She quickly left her room, ignoring the maids who followed after her. She reminded herself to find a trustworthy maid later, as she was still weary of the ones she currently had.

Elaine continued on, enjoying the bright sky as she tried to find her destination. It didn't take long for her to see the training grounds up ahead, where knights trained on their physical strength and swordsmanship. The chanting from the knights made her smile, their dedication always something she found admirable.

"Lady Elaine!" one knight exclaimed. Elaine simply nodded at him before finding somewhere to sit. She thought it would be best to observe before choosing someone. Loyalty wasn't found in everyone.

Watching the knights train was interesting to say the least, as it seemed that they were nervous with Elaine watching them. Elaine laughed quietly, seeing one of the knights trip over thin air after being distracted for so long.

Elaine glanced at one of the maids who sat beside her. "Which one do you think is the most handsome?"

The maid's eyes widened as she started to blush, not expecting such a question.

"Um... I'm not sure," the maid stammered, avoiding eye contact. Elaine simply moved on to the next maid, asking each one until all four maids were red in the face. Only one had truly answered the question, so Elaine decided to focus on that knight only.

Elaine smirked, observing the man the maid had chosen. He definitely wasn't lacking in looks, she thought to herself.

After a while, she suddenly stood up. Elaine started to walk with grace towards the man, causing everyone to stop what they were doing as they watched the lady move.

Smooth skin, light brown hair, young and strong. This man was someone she knew would give her the loyalty she craved.

"Lady Elaine."

The knight stood tall as he greeted Elaine, his face blank like a canvas yet to be used. Elaine nodded, looking him up and down in satisfaction.

He is definitely the one, she thought.

"I was very impressed with your hard work today," she said. "May I ask for your name?"

The knight blinked. "Sir Kaiden, milady."

He was awfully confused. Out of everyone here, he couldn't help but wonder why he was the one being targeted.

He wasn't the only one who was thinking this, as most of the knights surrounding them were questioning Elaine in their minds. They all thought they were far more capable than Kaiden, and yet the lady chose to speak to him instead of them.

They could only convince themselves that Elaine wasn't right in the head, just like the rumors had said.

Elaine didn't care though, thus she smiled kindly at Kaiden. "Would you like to be my knight?" she asked.

Sounds of disapproval were heard, but Elaine paid them no mind. It wasn't until the head of the knights, Alex, cleared his throat that she actually paid attention.

"Forgive me Lady Elaine, but this knight cannot be considered one worthy of your attention. He is a commoner, and lacks the skills needed to protect you." Alex said. "How about you try one of the other knights?"

Elaine frowned. Although Kaiden did not react in the slightest, to see him be spoken about in that manner did not sit right with Elaine.

"I want him, not the others." Elaine forced a smile, staring at Alex. She turned back around to face Kaiden. "It is his choice whether he wants me now."

Although Alex wanted to protest against this decision even more, Kaiden did not waste time, as he kneeled on one knee and pledged an oath. "Sir Kaiden vows to serve Lady Elaine Audelia Crestille until death."

There was only silence. No one could react, too shocked to speak. Elaine, however, smiled in relief as she watched her new protection swear his life to her.

Kaiden had been her savior in her last life, and would now be her knight in this lifetime.

——
A/N: Happy Valentine's Day everyone! Sorry for the late update... I swear I'm trying to get a schedule in place.

Until next time! <3