Twenty-Nine

"I have come bearing good news, Your Majesty," Delilah says, once again allowing herself uninhibited entrance into the king's chambers. "Their bond is definitely becoming stronger," she continues, thoroughly masking her great disdain for the growing connection between the two young men. "Prince Henry and the raven have recently become... intimate with each other."

With a short nod, the king curtly replies, "Then the time is almost upon us." After a slight pause, he ponders aloud, "What of the princess?"

"Rather unfortunately for our plan, the queen has already informed Princess Elaina of her intention to marry her to Prince Henry. The princess has eagerly accepted the proposition. In fact, she, too, seems to be quite taken with the prince," the witch answers truthfully, mentally preparing herself for the imminent display of dissatisfaction that is likely about to erupt from His Majesty at the news. She knows he has a hard time containing himself when in regard to the queen's interference with his plans.

Placing his head in his hands, the king lets out a loud, drawn-out sigh, attempting to reign in his mounting anger as it pulses violently in his veins. "Of course, my meddling wife cannot keep her nose out of it. She always needs to feel as if she is the one in charge; it is a terrible trait for a woman," he says. His Majesty bites the inside of his cheek to keep himself from snapping at the innocent woman standing before him instead of the troublesome one who simply cannot keep out of his affairs. Turning his attention back to Delilah, he continues, "A woman should know her place."

A sultry smile graces the witch's face at the wholly unsubtle insinuation of the king, her core warming at the expectant and promising expression etched on his features. She inquires playfully, wanting to hear him say the words aloud, "Tell me, Your Majesty. Where is a woman's place?"

Without warning, the king pulls the tempting Delilah into his arms, pulling her close and holding her firmly in place. With his lips teasing over the sensitive flesh at her neck, his husky voice says against her ear, "Serving her king."

The tension between the two quickly dissipates as they lose themselves in each other, their lips locking passionately and their hands grasping and groping, devouring every inch of one another as if they had previously been starved of affection. Or, more appropriately, in this case, sexual gratification. Too absorbed in the heat growing between them, they do not realize that they have company in the room; the two are utterly oblivious to the fact that they are not alone. Standing in the doorway with eyes wide in shock and anger boiling inside her is none other than the queen. Seeing her husband intimately entangled with another woman makes the rage burn in her belly.

Without a word, the queen storms out of the room, uncaring whether or not she is causing a scene or disrupting the disgusting display happening within the king's bedroom, her mind made up. She will do things her way from here on out, and her cheating rat of a husband can do damage control for his own plan with no one but that harlot to assist him. Surely, preventing the war from the beginning is a better solution to the problem, anyway; the queen had always believed this to be true. How could His Majesty think otherwise? The foolish man; he is likely under some sort of magical spell cast by the witch, some seductive compulsion intended to get him to unknowingly do her bidding. Alas, he will now have to suffer the consequences on his own; the queen will no longer be there to pick up the pieces after his imminent failure.

Her Majesty marches directly to Princess Elaina's room and barges in, not bothering to knock or otherwise announce her arrival in any way. Her sudden and rather dramatic appearance startles the unsuspecting princess, her body visibly jumping at the unexpected intrusion into her bedroom. "Your Majesty," Princess Elaina says in surprise, standing from her seat before the vanity mirror to greet her important visitor. "How can I help you?"

"I am planning a ball for your engagement to my son," the queen announces, her head held high and her tone tight with sizzling and hardly restrained anger. "It will be held in three days' time, so the staff has adequate time to make the preparations."

"Three days?" Elaina asks, equally shocked and thrilled by the news. "But Prince Henry has not even proposed to me yet; it has not been more than a couple of days since my arrival in your kingdom." While her words ring with a faint protestation, the sheer exuberance in her voice cannot be hidden, especially to the knowing queen.

"My son will propose before the ball," Her Majesty assures, her eyes narrowing slightly as she stares down the princess before her. "I will make sure of it," she promises, an air of authority possessing her entirely, controlling her movements and words alike. "Henry does not have a say in the matter unless he wants to lose the throne." After her final threatening statement, the queen swiftly turns and exits the room.

Excitement over the impending marriage is the only emotion the princess can feel at the moment. She cannot even bring herself to care that the queen just proclaimed that Prince Henry has no choice but to marry her, that his mother is forcing him to take Princess Elaina as his wife, regardless of what the prince himself wants. Indeed, he would have made the decision himself after getting to know her, anyway; the princess is sure of this. Henry is no fool; he would easily see the benefit of their union given enough time to accept the sudden changes in his life. Princess Elaina is certain that he would make a good and responsible king, and putting his duties to his country over his own wishes is the only way to ensure sustainability within the kingdom.

The princess lets out an ecstatic shriek, the shrillness of her own voice slightly alarming even herself as it assaults her ears. However, she cannot bring herself to care at the moment; this is a momentous occasion that requires immediate and thorough celebration, and she cannot allow herself to dampen her newfound joy in any way. Perhaps she could lower her tone a bit, though; covering her ears with her palms, Princess Elaina lets loose another high-pitched and entirely obnoxious squeal before allowing herself to dissolve into a giddy puddle of leftover princess.