Eleven

Using every bit of the information given to him by the kind maid, Henry waits until dark to sneak back into the West Wing, just as instructed. Knowing that the witch had been seen leaving the castle earlier in the day, the maid, Ella, had informed him that this night would likely be the best time to infiltrate the tower. Thankfully, Ella had also been able to give him the guard schedules for the entire West Wing, as well as the general areas where the guards are located; this surely would aid in his quest for answers.

Perhaps he will have to speak to his mother about giving the maids raises; they obviously deserve it.

Armed with his newfound knowledge, Henry finds it to be much easier to sneak in this time, and maneuvering around the Wing itself also proves a fairly easy task. He attempts to be as silent as possible as he meanders through the old, concrete halls. He briefly studies the West Wing, taking in a few details about the previously unexplored location. It appears the place is made up almost entirely of concrete, the occasional stone or brick wall decorating the space. The main floor is spotless and seems as if it is regularly tidied; Henry assumes that is because the maids are instructed to clean it for the supposed witch. At the end of the long hallway is the staircase that Henry knows will lead to his destination. The higher he ascends the spiral staircase, the more he realizes that it must not be used often; it is dingy, drafty, and littered with cobwebs. The windowless tower becomes darker the farther he continues, but Henry refuses to let that deter him.

It does not appear to be a suitable place for someone to live.

When he reaches the top of the stairs, Henry mentally notes to send Ella some sort of extravagant thank you; her assistance in the successful completion of his goal is wholly appreciated, and he feels his gratefulness must be thoroughly expressed. However, he does not allow the notion to distract him, tucking it away for later use while returning his focus to the task at hand; whatever he is searching for is almost within his grasp. Soon, Henry is standing before the only door at the top of the tower, so close to the answers he so desperately seeks. There is nothing left remaining in his way except for this door. Taking a deep breath, he reaches into his pocket to find his lock-picking tools and carefully opens the lock on the door.

Henry stands before the now unlocked door, staring at the thick, wooden structure in undeniable shock. His heart pounds dramatically against his ribcage, and his breaths come in short, fast pants. This is really happening. Henry turns the knob and, with a single hand, gives the door one slight push, his eyes glued to the wood as it slowly creaks open before him. He lets out a breath he had not known he was holding when the door opens to reveal the dark and seemingly empty room. Disappointment washes over him as he peers around and finds nothing; there is nothing but shadows present here.

Where is the owner of the red eyes? Where is 'the raven' that Ella had mentioned? Surely, he has not come all this way for nothing; he cannot have. There is a warmth in his chest that pulls him forward, directing him to move closer. As it draws him in, Henry gives it permission to control his body; at this moment, he would do anything to see those scarlet orbs.

Stepping further into the room, Henry closes his eyes and runs a hand through his hair in an attempt to ease his overwhelming feelings at this moment. Ella had been right about everything else; she has to be right about this, too.

"I will not harm you," the prince ventures quietly, hoping that, by some chance, he will receive a response. "You have my word."

There is a silence that seems to drag on for eternity, a pause that has Henry's heart ready to fall from his chest and into his stomach. Just as he is about to give up and leave the tower, he hears a voice ask, "What, pray tell, is the prince doing snooping around in the tower?" It is the most beautiful voice he has ever heard, a delicate yet somehow masculine, almost musical voice that leaves Henry's heart stuttering.

Henry looks around again but still sees no one, much to his dismay. "I am looking for answers, I suppose," he replies as honestly as possible. "But mostly, I have been hoping to meet the owner of the enchanting red eyes I have seen glowing in both the window and the corridor," he admits, thankful that the darkness masks his heated cheeks. "I am quite enamored by them, you see. I cannot seem to get their beauty out of my head."

"You..." the voice begins, shock and confusion ringing clearly through it. "You do not think they are hideous?" the voice questions, trailing off toward the end of the sentence.

"Of course not," Henry says, a light laugh in his tone. What a ridiculous assumption; anyone would be mad to think such a thing. "They are very much the most beautiful eyes I have ever seen," he confesses, a sense of relief filling him as he recognizes that he holds no doubt that the voice is definitely that of a male. As the words leave his lips, the eyes themselves begin to glow from the shadows of the room. "I would very much like to meet you," the prince gently adds. When there is no response after a few minutes, he continues, "My name is Henry."

Henry can hear a deep intake of breath before the voice returns unsteadily and sounding unsure. "I am... the raven," he replies softly.

The raven? The supposed weapon created by his father and a powerful witch is the holder of those enchanting eyes he adores so much? Well, he concludes Ella must have been telling the truth; at least, there must be some truthfulness within her story, anyway. "Will you come out?" the prince dares to ask, his breath bated in anticipation.

"I am afraid that you will be frightened by my appearance," the raven admits sullenly, his words almost inaudible over the racing of Henry's heart. "I am quite disgusting to look at."

"I sincerely doubt that anyone with such glorious eyes could be disgusting," Henry argues, an unknown sensation warming his chest. "Please?" he asks, his pleading voice practically whispering into the darkness. "I would like to properly meet you."

With another deep breath, the raven changes into his natural form and steps out of the shadows.