Chapter 5

Sorry for any errors

___________

"How's my future sugar daddy doing," Kait asked when we got seated at our table.

"Who my dad," Ali asked. "He's good I guess. We talked earlier. He seemed panicked about something, but wouldn't let me know what's going on. Probably politics."

"Tell him I'll take the stress off. He fine and he loaded," Kait said, sticking her tongue out. Gabi and I locked eyes when we heard loaded, before sharing a small smile.It felt inappropriate for two rivals aiming to kill the same person over insufficient funds to be smiling at a statement not meant as a joke. Perhaps our penance was Ali catching us.

"Why are you two smiling at each other," she asked.

"Ooh, I know you're not going to like the sound of this but it was an inside joke," I said quickly.

"So how'd you two meet," Kait asked, looking between Gabi and I.

"We grew up together," Gabi answered.

"How long did yall date," Kait continued enjoying the show.

"Umm," I looked at Gabi for assistance.

"Two years on and off," she answered for me. "This is your lie. Don't make me answer," she said in some form of a Celtic language perhaps Welsh. So my translation was tricky.

"Speak the native tongue. It's rude to speak in a language that others can't understand," I scolded in English. Her switching so far from her original language was important. It let me know that Ali understood Spanish, and maybe French. Gabi could have switched to Arabic, but it would have given me too much power, in her eyes, to switch to a language I use so frequently at home.

"What'd she say," Kait asked me.

"If I wanted you to know. I would have said it in a way that you could interpret," Gabi said.

"Hello, my name is Dave. I'll be taking your orders. What can I get you to start," The waiter asked as soon as he walked up, diffusing the situation. We placed our orders. He smiled as he repeated our orders. After we approved he walked away

"Two years, and you didn't tell me when you first saw her," Ali asked Gabi.

"This is not a conversation for a crowd," Gabi snipped.

"Why not, she already knows all about your past. Something you wont share with me. Then you don't tell me y'all used to date. You have me looking foolish in front of your ex," she said.

"No you have yourself looking foolish in front of Leann," she said, spitting out my alias as if it tasted sour. "You see what you have done. I've worked hard on this identity and you come in and squander it, like you do everything," she said in Arabic. I'm guessing she wanted to make sure I understood.

"Stop talking to her in a different language. Like I'm not right here," Ali seethed.

"Well I don't want you to understand it," Gabi said.

"What did she say to you," Ali said, staring at me.

"That I should fix this for you guys, but I don't care if y'all break up. I'm used to destroying things, squandering them if you will," I said smiling directly at Gabi.

"Excuse us," Gabi said before getting up and grabbing my arm to pull her out of the restaurant with her.

"How can we make this a deal Fatima," Gabi asked, calling me by my birth name.