Chapter 1

"I've got a mission for ya," Abu said walking into my room with no consideration for my privacy. I lied completely still knowing he need not for my attention to continue. "The governor's daughter," he said not skipping a beat.

"Am I to take a gander at which governors you are speaking of," I asked still unmoving. I wanted him to know his presence was a bother.

"My child, this life is lonely. Love is how do you say," he started before sighing as if he couldn't find the English words for what he was feeling. "I've once felt love with your mother. She's no longer with us because of me and I want to save you from the same fate. Love makes us weak. Don't be weak," he said concluding his speech.

" 'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all," I quoted.

"Lord Tennyson has always been weak," he said.

I resisted rolling my eyes. "Yes papa," I said.

"Pack your bags. Your target is Alison Richards she goes by Ali. She is like you a girl who seems to want to be a boy. You are to befriend her stay close and strike when I say so," he said the callousness in his voice returning.

"Where am I going," I asked.

"Atlanta, Clark University. She becoming a doctor, in her junior year. You'll be a junior as well. She's a physics major. She's smart she knows she more likely to pass the MCAT with a physics degree," he acknowledged impressed. "Hopefully her dad pays up. She seems to have a bright future ahead of her," he finished throwing her folder on my bed.

"When do I leave," I asked growing frustrated. I seem to be asking primitive questions that should have been answered in my briefing.

"School starts in August so that leaves two weeks to learn physics. That's enough time right." I heard the smile in his voice, but felt no need to joke with him. He sighed, "Maya really was a great girl. I wish you could have stayed with her. Time helps bruises to heal my child."

"It's been 2 years."

"And it might take five more, Hafeeza. Healing is funny and it fits everyone differently, food is downstairs. " he said before leaving my room.

I shielded my eyes as I looked for my car, hoping not to get lost. The Hartsfield Jackson airport is huge. I cursed my father and the governor whose daughter I was after. I would much rather be home moping than on this assignment.

"LeAnn," a male voice called out. It took me a while to respond to me alias.

"Just Le," I said to the driver leaving my bags there for him to grab as I climbed in the blacked out S-class. It made me uncomfortable to let him touch my stuff but I had a role to play. When he finished he shut my door and ran around to the drivers side before the Atlanta Police could come enforce their no stopping rule.

"I hope you didn't wait too long. It was a little difficult to find you without a picture, but it turns out a description of what you're wearing was accurate," he chuckled.

"Yes. I'm not fond of pictures," I replied.

"So who's daughter are you," he asked.

"Excuse me," I questioned with one eyebrow raised up.

"Well, most people just use Uber unless they are important. So I assumed that you were pretty important considering you have one of the best cars in the fleet," he said. I considered cursing him out for questioning me, but it would make me more memorable.

"I don't trust technology," I settled on instead.

"Oh," he said now uninterested in the conspiracy theorist I've made myself out to be. I took this time to pop in my headphones. I never listened to anything but it seems to be the international sign to tell people to stop talking to you. I occasionally bobbed my head to make it believable.

"We're her ma'am," he said. I looked at my surroundings before glancing at him expectingly. He quickly got out and opened my door.

"Thank you," I said getting out. He hurried to the trunk to unload my bags. "I have you for the next two hours right?"

"Yes," he answered.

"Okay, stay close in case I need you. I'll call the lady who organizes pick ups and she'll let you know. If you don't get a call within two hours have a great day. I've left your tip with the agency," I said dismissing him and taking my bags.

I sighed feeling someone's eyes on me as I walked up the steps. I'm trying not to draw attention to myself. I thought it would be easier considering Atlanta is the Gay capital, I shouldn't draw as much attention. There are lesbians everywhere.

I damn near made it to my door before she spoke. "I've never seen you around here."

"Do you know everyone on the west side?" I asked not turning around, but listening for footsteps to make sure she didn't get any closer.

"No but I know most people who be in the AU," she said referring to the area that covered Clark Atlanta, Spelman, and Morehouse.

"This isn't only student housing, it's a regular apartment," I said.

"Yeah but no one whose not a student is dumb enough to stay here. Are you just gonna keep looking at Ali's door," she asked calling out my attempt to confuse her on where I lived. "You're moving into 316. Ali lives in 314. I live in 313, and white boy lives in 315. I know everything that happens here," she stated proudly. I finally turned to face her.

"You know if a killer were after someone, you would be really helpful," I said.

"Kaitlynn," she said coming over to me with her hand extended.

"Lee," I said taking her gesture.

"You know your cute, you single?" She asked.

"Yes but I'm not emotionally available, so I would prefer to stay that way."

"I respect it Lee. Well I'll see you around, knock on my door if you need anything ," she said sashaying away.

I admired the view and finally made it inside the apartment and seen stacks of boxes.

"Yes," I answered my ringing phone.

"Are you settled in," Abus voice said.

"I just got into the apartment. You told me everything was already unpacked."

"Yes wel the person ran into a bit of trouble so you'll be unpacking but the sofa and other things to make it look like you actually live there should already be in place correct. I walked to the bedroom. 

"Yes. I have a bed and sofa. Where's my television?"

"You need to focus on school. You don't need a television. You should find keys for a Nission Altima."

"Thanks Papa," I said finding the keys on the kitchen counter.

"Oh, and your mission changed," he said. I suppressed a growl.  "Protect her from harm, apparently he owes a plethora of organizations money. If someone kills her, I want it to be you."