Annabeth

Ever since Annabeth was very young her father never paid much attention to her.

For he was the master of the house and apparently a very busy man. Annabeth never knew what exactly he did to support his extravagant lifestyle. Whatever it was, it made him locked up in his study all day. Annabeth didn't know since she's never been inside of it. And it's not like her father bothered to explain it to her. When she was younger she'd roam the halls of the Chase mansion whenever she liked. She was free to do what ever she liked and it was never enough.

See, Annabeth was in dire need of a friend. For seven years she was taught by the best tutors and dressed in the finest silks but never really had a companion. Which is why she was so excited when she found out she'd not only be getting a stepmother, but a sister her age aswell.

She thought that her life was finally going to become more happy and fulfilling.

It didn't exactly turn out that way.

-

"Annabeth, you're late again. Did you stay up all night reading? Again?" Annabeth's stepmother asked as soon as she entered the room.

Such interrogation. It was too early.

Annabeth was a bit older now. A young girl at the age of eleven.

"Apologies, mother. I'll do better." She said as she took her familiar place at the table. Her sister was looking at her smugly and her father was immersed in some letter that probably arrived just before Annabeth.

"Sure you will." Replied her stepmother with a miserable attempt at sarcasm.

Annabeth barely resisted the urge to roll her eyes. She, in fact, wasn't late. The clock in the dining room went two minues early but it would be pointless to point that out. She couldn't wait to be off to Hogwarts.

Every member of the Chase family was now seated at their usual seat. Annabeth hoped that her lovely stepmother would shut up for once and not recommend any plans for today. Annabeth had plenty of books to finish before her school term started and she couldn't bother with these insignificant social "gatherings".

"So dear I was wondering if today we could dine at the Malfoy estate. See, Narcissa was kind enough to invite us and it would be rude to refuse." her stepmother stated.

What a pain.

A dinner with the Malfoys was just what she needed. She couldn't wait to se her stepsister Celia bat her eyelashes at Draco Malfoy yet again. Their mother probably put her up to it.

Celia already finished her first year at Hogwarts. She was an example of a perfect girl - a perfect daughter. She was pretty, she had great grades (but not perfect so she didn't seem nerdy), she had a lot of friends and was generally liked by everyone. Even though Annabeth was much smarter (which she proved on multiple occasions) her parents and everyone else preffered her wonderful sister.

But Annabeth wasn't sad, not really. She was angry. She was so angry that no one knew what Celia was really like and that no one ever believed in her no matter how hard she tried.

None of it would matter because she was soon to be sorted into Ravenclaw, be the best in her year and impress her father. Because Annabeth Chase was a Ravenclaw... right?