73 | catching up

chapter playlist
this is how you fall in love - jeremy zucker & chelsea cutler
long story short - taylor swift
fall for you - secondhand serenade

---
the next morning
shawn >

There were about fifteen seconds of confusion in my brain this morning before the eventual tidal wave of joy came flooding in.

Last night.

It all happened.

Jesus Christ, it really all happened.

Gemma Clark is mine again. I'm hers again. Life has meaning again. 

I felt myself involuntarily start smiling, which is so lame, so I put my hands over my face to stop myself. But this is the kind of joy I don't know how to contain. It's like waking up from a bad dream and realizing that it was just a dream, and whatever bad stuff happened in the dream didn't actually happen in real life. I feel like the past year and three months was just a bad dream, and I'm just now waking up to realize it. And it feels so good to open my eyes again.

I looked at my phone. I slept a little too late, to be honest. I sort of wanted to get an early start on the day, because that would mean more time to spend with her, but it's already 10:30 and I'm still in bed. I would have said that she was still sleeping, too, except for the fact that she texted me at 9:30.

gemma
it wasn't a dream :)))

I smiled to myself, feeling so overwhelmed with joy. I didn't even know I could feel this happy.

I decided to call her, and she picked up within a couple moments.

"Good morning," she answered. I love when I can hear her smile in her voice. I love everything about her.

Fuck. I need to chill out.

"Morning," I replied, trying to seem more energetic than I really was.

"Did you just wake up?" she asked. Must not have worked.

"Yeah," I admitted. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to sleep so late."

"No, don't be sorry at all," she said. "I only asked because I could tell you were really tired last night, and I wanted to know if you got to sleep in or not. I'm very glad that you did."

I smiled. Why is she perfect?

"Thanks," I replied. "I was quite surprised to see that you were awake before double digits. Don't tell me that you've become an early riser since we broke up."

She chuckled. "God, no. Not at all. I've gotten worse, actually," she said, which I was kind of glad to hear. "I just wanted to make sure I was awake and ready in case you were coming over that early."

I should've.

"Is this my official invitation?"

"I already told you last night to come over. I told you I wasn't going to change my mind," she told me. "And I was right. The only thing that changed is that I want you even more now than I did last night."

Hearing her say she wants me made me feel like I was burning up. Did the room get warmer?

"You don't even know how badly I want you, Gemma," I said, trying to sound nonchalant. "In every way...I want you so badly."

"I'd like to hear more about all the ways you want me," she said playfully. "Maybe you should come over and tell me."

"I should?" I asked. I just wanted to hear her say yes again.