Chapter 2 ~ Settling in

"Sweetheart. You have no idea what you've just started." Before he'd even had a chance to react, she bolted to the other side of the counter, gripping it tightly.

"What are you gonna do Dean? That was the last of the dough." She stated matter of factly. Dean leaned over the counter slowly as though a predator stalking his prey, a sadistic grin on his lips.

"You're not ticklish, are you?" Y/N shook her head aggressively loosing all her cockiness. Dean reached for the dough still stuck on the side of his face, sucking it off his finger with a hum.

"Didn't think so." With that he pounced, chasing her from around the island. Y/N was fast. But Dean was faster. Much faster. Especially when he was the only one who knew when he'd move. Dean caught her before she even had a chance to get to the couch, gripping her around her waist and picking her up laughing as giggles bubble from her chest. It all happens so quick. Dean catching her, picking her up. Her laughing with him as he does and screeching when her feet leave the ground and resumes her laugh. All so happy. All so hallmark. All so not her. In an instant she was telling Dean to put her down pushing at his arms, thrashing in his grip.

"Put me down Dean! Let go of me!" And he did without hesitation.

"Sorry, I'm sorry." His hands were up in surrender, eyes wide in confusion and shock. She started this. She put the food on his face, she ran. She could have told him stop. She could have left the spatula on the counter or eaten it herself. What confused him the most was that mere seconds ago, she was laughing. So what trigged her anger? And why was it always Dean?

"I thought we were just having fun. Did — Did I hurt you? Are you okay?"

"Just stay away from me."

"Can you tell me what I did so I can fix it?"

"It's you Dean it's just you, just say away from me." Her arms were crossed over her chest as she took small steps backwards.

"I don't know what I fucking did Y/N! Tell me what I did so I can fix it!"

"Can you just leave me the hell alone Dean! Jesus how many hints do I have to drop and not even hints I've told you on multiple occasions that I don't want to be around you so just leave me alone! Just fuck off!" She charged past him pulling on her boots and jacket before slamming the door behind her. Dean stood, taking deep breaths before running his hand down his face.

"I need a drink."

Dean moved back to the kitchen pouring himself a glass of whiskey and realizes there are still cookies in the oven. Y/N had set the time on her phone which she'd taken with her so Dean took a deep breath before sitting cross legged on the floor in front of the oven watching the treats bake, not wanting to miss them burning. As the liquor burns down his throat, he begins smelling the cookies. Dean set the cookie tray on top of the oven letting them cool before tasting one. The baked goods pulled apart and chocolate drips on his chin as he groans.

"Why couldn't you be shitty cookies."

Meanwhile, Y/N had found a clear cut in the forest, deciding her feet are tired and thus laid down. She felt the cold of the snow seep in through her jeans and creep past her jacket sending shivers through her body. She replayed her day over and over and over, trying to find a reason for having flipped out, searching desperately for an excuse, yet coming up empty handed. There was no reason. So why. And why was he still kind. Why did he still try with her? Why has he not yet just given up like everyone else? It would be easier for everyone.

"What would be easier for everyone was if you weren't an asshole."

Dean sat on the couch comfortably sprawled out watching a movie he'd forgotten the title of. He quickly paused though when he spotted Y/N moving onto the porch to sit on the steps looking out over the river. It's dark but he could see she was cold. He got up making his way to the glass door separating them. Using both hands he unlocked it and pushed it open. Y/N did move, the only evidence that she hadn't yet frozen on the spot, were her shoulders rising and falling with every vaporized breath.