Chapter 5 ~ Butterflies & Fireworks

They woke up, the morning of Christmas Eve, together in bed. Dean wanted to apologize and promise that last night would never happen again, but he didn't get a chance. Instead, she rolled him over and hugged him, thanking him for letting her help him. He couldn't find the power to argue.

They ate breakfast silently, together, occasionally touching each other on the shoulder or back or knee. After last night, Y/N couldn't get enough of him and Dean? Well, Dean had always craved her. They did the usual, watching movies, or more so having them play in the background while they talked or played cards or board games, and then suddenly Dean disappeared. All he said was that he had to do something in the yard before slipping on his boots and jacket and bolting. Y/N was left in the cabin. He couldn't have gone far, given that Baby was still parked safely outside and so she chose to finish something she'd started long ago. At least it felt like long ago. She sat on the couch, reading the book she had been consumed by at one point. She only had a few chapters left of the story and so she finished them. The ending was bittersweet and as sad as it may have been, it made her smile. Not all ending can be happy. Sometimes you lose your favourite character, sometimes the bad guys win, sometimes they don't work out. Chances were, she would forget about this book in the future too caught up in real life to think of such simple things. But she'd remember it before she died, moments before she died, and she'd smile at the memory. One that would always bring her back to this cabin and to Dean.

The sun had gone down and she'd spent most of the day alone. She wondered if she'd scared him, or made him uncomfortable but he didn't seem to be in the morning or that night. She'd figure it out when he got back. Y/N made herself some toast as she stood in her jeans and t-shirt, layered with a flannel over the counter. Just as she finished her dinner, he came barging in.

"Y/N?"

"Kitchen!" He swung himself around the corner.

"Sweetheart, get your boots and jacket on, I wanna show you something." She was glad to see him in such a chipper mood so she brushed off her hands and smiled. Dean partly dragged her out the door once she had her outside attire on.

The instant the door closed behind her, everything slowed. Dean was no longer in a rush, holding out his hand for her to take. The snowflakes were few and far between but created a beautiful aesthetic. She took his hand and he led her into the forest. The moon crept over them as they brushed past snow-covered pines through the woods. She never let go of his hand and never asked where he was taking her. Dean led her deeper and deeper never looking back to her. He knew where he was going. When he spotted what he'd been looking for he stopped in his tracks turning to Y/N who ran into his chest with an "umph". He reached for her face brushing the unruly strands out of her eyes and bent down to see her better.

"Close your eyes, sweetheart." And she did so without hesitation. He took both her hands in his, leading her further a few more feet before coming to a stop once again. He let go of her hands and stepped back, taking her in with a smile for a second, before granting her permission to open her eyes.

"You can open your eyes now, sweetheart." She was smiling softly as she began lifting her eyelids that had temporarily rendered her blind. Her smile was lost as she became more aware of what surrounded her.

"Dean... What is this?" Y/N stood a couple of feet back from what seemed to be a frozen pond, illuminated by a solitary lamp next to her. He smiled at her. "When did I step into a wardrobe mister Tumnus." Dean got her reference immediately having it been one of the many movies they watched over their time together. He smiled at her backlit form, stepping closer to her.

"I found it. When I went out to cut some more wood, I came across that pole and realized it was a lamp. Figured it had to be here for a reason and then I landed on my ass."
"You slipped." She smiled.